1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 11:43 AM by TedWeil

Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard

IanBlackburn

Summary

Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 Operating System(s) involved:Mac OS X 10.6.2Detailed description of the issue:Starting with OS X 10.5, the Mac firewall has been application-based rather than the traditional ports/services-based model. You can set it to ask whether to allow or deny incoming connections to specific applications, and your choices are stored in the Security->Firewall->Advanced preference pane. Despite having approved incoming connections to FMPA (and having manually added it to the "approved" list), every single launch of FMPA results in the "Do you want the application 'Filemaker Pro Advanced.app' to accept incoming network connections?" message. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:Launch FMPA. Expected Result:FMPA will launch without me getting any crap about the firewall settings. Actual Result:I get some crap about the firewall settings. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:Do you want the application "Filemaker Pro Advanced.app" to accept incoming network connections? Clicking Deny may limit the application's behavior. This setting can be changed in the Firewall pane of Security preferences. Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:I have verified that FMPA is whitelisted in the aforementioned preferences. Any workarounds that you have found:This isn't a dire problem, of course; I just have to click an extra button every time I launch Filemaker. Ordinarily, I'd take this as an OS issue rather than a Filemaker issue (and it well may be), but FMPA is the only program I've ever had that I get this behavior with. It's just an annoyance, kind of like the persistently bouncing dock icon (http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=fdbk2&message.id=1054#M1054).

• 1. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
          TSGal

Ian Blackburn:

Thank you for your post.

I have tried this on both Mac OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) and Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard).

First, I blocked incoming connections to everything except FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3, and at launch, it prompted me for ddfmsoc.  Once I set that to allow incoming connections, then every subsequent launch of FileMaker Pro was successful.

If there is something else you would like me to try, let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
            RickWhitelaw

I get this all the time. When I remove FM from the white list and re-enter it the problem goes away. Then the next time I use Onyx it resets something and the message appears again. I've given up. I just live with the extra click or Return.

RW 

• 3. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
              IanBlackburn
                 I manually added FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/Extensions/xDBC Support/bin/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/ddfmsoc20p.mo and ddfmsoc20i.mo, but that didn't seem to have any effect. Are those the wrong files, maybe?
              • 4. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                TSGal

Ian Blackburn:

When FileMaker Pro 10 initially launched and it prompted me for ddfmsoc, I added it at that moment.  The next time, FileMaker launched without a problem.  When I go into System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall, I see ddfmsoc is listed and set for "Allow incoming connections".  The only reference I find to the ddfmsoc file are the ones you listed, so I'm not sure if these are the correct files.

Granted, our company already has a secure firewall, so I don't have to worry about any firewall issues.  This is the first time I tried this, so I'll need to get some more information from others here.  It may take some time, but I will keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                  TSGal

Ian Blackburn:

I found another Snow Leopard machine, went into System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall, turned on the Firewall, and set each application individually to Block incoming connections.  I did not see FileMaker Pro listed, so I added it and set it to "Block incoming connections."  When I started FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3, I get the same message as you.  I responded "Allow", and then went back into the Firewall settings, and changed it to Allow incoming connections.  I quit FileMaker Pro Advanced and relaunched it.  No error message.  I tried opening remote files, creating new database files, etc., and no error message.  I started and restarted several times.  No error message.  I did not need to start ddfmsoc (or even get prompted for it).  I have access to another Snow Leopard machine, and I'll try there next.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                    IanBlackburn
                       I replicated your steps, but I still get the "Do you want to allow..." message. It may well be something on my end; I'll try a few more tweaks. I appreciate your efforts to solve this!
                    • 7. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                      TSGal

Ian Blackburn:

Sorry, but I don't have any further information.  The third machine worked as expected.  That is, it asked me if I want to allow incoming connections, and after I changed it, I never received the message again, and that included 5-10 subsequent launches.

I don't know why FileMaker Pro asked me on the first machine for ddfmsoc, and I don't know why FileMaker Pro keeps asking you to allow incoming connections.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                        IanBlackburn
                           It's not that big a deal, really. I very much appreciate you trying to track it down.
                        • 9. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                          DanH8888

Hi Ian

You're a good sport.  I have the same issue and no matter what I do, that lousy garbage message keeps pooping up.  I would hope Apple and Filemaker could write software that worked correctly.  Because, unlike you I find it quite annoying day after day.  You would think as a subsidiary of Apple there wouldn't be such stupid defects and bugs between Filemaker and the OS.  It would also be nice if it wasn't so hard to try to get ether one to take responsibility and fix it.  Although, the message box is an OS problem, I would have thought Filemaker would care enough to try to get them to fix it.

After all the years I've used Filemaker, with the other problems I've had with Filemaker.  I'm starting to deploy other database's when possible.  I don't think, "just ignore them" is a very good attitude for a company to have towards the people who use their product and hope it could work properly.

Dan 

• 10. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                            IanBlackburn

I'll agree that in the not-too-distant past, Filemaker had a "just ignore them" attitude. Unless you were willing to buy a support contract or shell out a hefty per-incident fee, there was virtually no communication between FM and their customer base. Independent user forums like Filemaker Cafe and FMForums.com were your only hope for getting any information or answers.

Nowadays, though, things are vastly improved. Take this thread, for instance: Not only did a FM rep reply to my post (quickly, too), she personally went to a good bit of trouble trying to track down a solution. From a support perspective, I think that's pretty badass. We've also had direct input in these forums from product development managers and other FM staff who are in a position to make changes and get things on the development agenda. FM's made some commendable strides towards engaging their customer base.

• 11. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                              TSGal

All:

Since this is happening to a number of you, I do believe there is an underlying problem, but I am unable to determine the cause.  I know if you turn off your firewall, you won't encounter the problem, but I know that defeats why you have a firewall in place.

Here is something I tried on the original machine that asked me for ddfmsoc...

I went into the Advanced Firewall settings and removed all applications from the list.  I closed System Preferences and reopened to Firewall settings again.  I solely added FileMaker Pro application and set it to Allow incoming connections.  When I launch FileMaker Pro, no message displayed.  I opened files locally and remotely.  No problem.  I quit and launched FileMaker Pro ten times without any error message.  I added Bento and Safari to the Firewall.  Launched FileMaker again without incident.

What items are listed in your Firewall, and are they set to Allow or Block?  I'm only looking for some commonality.

Anybody willing to remove the items from the Firewall and then add manually again?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                                RickWhitelaw

One thing I've noticed about this message popping up: it's not consistent. Sometimes, after doing nothing, I'll open FMPA a few times and get no message. Then, for no reason, it's back for a week.

RW 

• 13. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                                  TSGal

All:

After further inquiries, I was informed that this problem was reported in September, but originally logged with Apple in July, and again in December.  It's hard to decipher the Apple logs, but I do see Apple wanted both customers to run:

codesign -vvv "/Applications/FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced/FileMaker Pro Advanced.app"

... but no reason was given why. 

There is information about the file:

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.alf.agent.plist

... and that it should not be empty.

There were other similar problems reported with other applications (quite a few for iTunes), so it doesn't appear to be limited to FileMaker Pro.

I'll have to research this further with our Development department.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Repeatedly asks to accept incoming network connections in Snow Leopard
                                    IanBlackburn

>Anybody willing to remove the items from the Firewall and then add manually again?

I did; I still get the "incoming connection" message when launching FMPA10. 

1 2 3 4 Previous Next