replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v1

Operating system version

OSX 10.7.3

Description of the issue

2 file solution - local file runs and generates some data thru the web viewer and accumulates it in records - when done calls a file on a server far away via WAN access fmserver12v1 it uploads all values - then at the end performs a replace and then it crashes - same logic works very reliably in fm11 same provider and same solution.

Steps to reproduce the problem

just run it - does always crash .. when the client crashes always send the report to apple - hope FMI can use them.

(did not replicate in an empty file)

Expected result

no crash

Actual result

crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

crash log

Configuration information

macbook pro 4core i7 2.66 GHz -  8GB RAM

Workaround

none

• 1. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
          philmodjunk

What kind of replace? There are two script steps that contain this key word: Replace Field Contents and Perform Find/Replace.

• 2. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
            FileKraft

Replace Field Content script step - sorry for the double confusion - the "replace function" would have been not a script step - so i was first wrong and second not precise - thanx for asking!

• 3. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
              TSGal

Filekraft:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate a crash with a file hosted on a remote Mac server, and accessed via FileMaker Pro 12 on both Windows XP (SP3) and Mac OS X 10.7.3.  My script step resembles:

Replace Field Contents [ No dialog ; <field name> ; <static value> )

Any other information you can provide about the <field name> and the calculation (mine is a static value), it may provide some insight into what may causing the issue.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
                FileKraft

thanx for responding TSGal, well  do you get the crash logs from apple - or shall i copy and paste them?

the script before the crash scrolls / loops thru a found set of 500 records - there is the webviewer in the header and before it is finished

it crashes - it checks for each record if it needs to call a script from a file hosted remotely via WAN. then suddenlty crashes.

it never did this in fm11 - has been working reliably over 16 months now!

• 5. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
                  FileKraft

just looked at the debugger window - doesn't stuructre code blocks anymore see here:

• 6. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
                    FileKraft
                    /files/7d6e027ca7/Screen_Shot_2012-04-17_at_7.48.40_PM.png 382x125
                    • 7. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
                      TSGal

Filekraft:

Thank you for the additional information.

I do not have access to the crash logs.  The crash logs are sent to Apple, where they are then forwarded to FileMaker Development.

Is there a specific record in the current file being accessed when the crash occurs?  Or, is it a random record and only occurs when you are calling a script in the hosted file?  How many records are being accessed in the hosted file when the "Replace Contents" script step is executed?  Again, any other information you can provide about the specifics of the "Replace Contents" script step may provide a clue.

I am unable to replicate the issue with the Script Debugger.  All of my scripts appear to structure the script steps properly, indenting for Loop and If constructs.  I've tried this on both Mac OS X 10.7.3 and Windows XP (SP3).  Is this happening for all of your scripts or just some of them?  If you create a new sample script with the commands:

If [ 1 ]
                         Show Custom Dialog [ "TEST" ; "TEST" ]
                      End If

... and then execute the script with the Script Debugger active, does the formatting fail?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
                        FileKraft

thanx for help TSGal - if the crash logs are forwarded to dev then hope they get a clue - well i narrowed it down - right now it crashes before reaching the replace command - it scrolls thru 1000 records and after approx. 450 it crashes - before i am getting the spinning wheel after each 10th or so record  - while fm11 it goes step by step from record to record without interrupts or spinning wheel - same script same layput - just the converted solution .. i am betting now on the web viewer in the header and there are 3 web viewers behind tabs ..

thanx again.

hope dev can fix all these bugs and improve the code towards speed as well!

GOOD LUCK!

• 9. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
                          TSGal

Filekraft:

Thank you for the additional information.

There is a customer on the forum (Changing a field with a drop-down menu causes FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced to hang) who is crashing when accessing a pop-up menu.  On the layout, there are seven Web Viewers and I have asked the customer to duplicate the layout, remove the Web Viewers in the duplicate layout, and see if the issue continues when using the duplciate layout (the jury is still out).

Since you are "betting now on the web viewer in the header and three are 3 web viewers behind tabs", can you temporarily duplicate the layout, remove the Web Viewers, and then try running the script on the duplicate layout?  This would test the theory and/or provide a clue to why FileMaker Pro is crashing.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: replace function crashes via WAN in fm12v1
                            FileKraft

thanx TSGal - yes i will test and let you know shortly - originally the found set was smaller so it reached at the end after scrolling thru all records the replaces and coincientially crashed there - now the found set is bigger and it doesnt reach end of found set and end of loop therefor so it must definitively be the web viewer which i will confirm shortly and the crash log BTW is full of web stuff as well ...