Summary

Report slider bar is grayed out after upgrading to FileMaker 11

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008

Description of the issue

I just upgraded from FileMaker 9 to FileMaker 11 and although everything agrees from the old version to the new one, when I run a report the slider bar is grayed out and I can not advance from one page to the next.  If I export to a pdf file I see the entire report, but in FileMaker 11 I only see the first page.  What do I need to do to enable to ability to view the entire report while in FileMaker 11??

Steps to reproduce the problem

Run a custom report

Expected result

Report displays and I can either advance one page at a time through it or use the report slider bar to move through the report.

Actual result

I only see the first page of the report and the the report controls are grayed out.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Workaround

Export to a pdf file

• 1. Re: Report slider bar is grayed out after upgrading to FileMaker 11
          philmodjunk

The question to answer here is whether this is a problem with this specific layout, this specific file or your copy of Filemaker Pro.

Try this test:

Create a brand new file with a layout and number of records such that it will be more than one page when you preview the layout. Preview the layout and see if the slider works. If so, then there is some issue with your file or the layout. You can then try creating a new layout in your original file without copying anything from the problem layout and see if it shows the same behavior. If the new layout works, you can replace your problem layout with a new layout (Unless you can find a back up copy that does not demonstrate this behavior.) If the new layout also fails, try recovering the file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

If the test file also has a greyed out slider, then we have some other issue--perhaps you will need to re-install fileMaker 11 on it.

• 2. Re: Report slider bar is grayed out after upgrading to FileMaker 11
            keknoblock

A couple clarifications... ALL reports suffer from the same problem whereas none of the data entry layouts do.  Also, it's not only that the slider bar is grayed out on the reports, but ALL of the Status Toolbar items are also grayed out.  Any ideas out there?  Seems like it must be some sort of setting someplace??

• 3. Re: Report slider bar is grayed out after upgrading to FileMaker 11
              philmodjunk

Are you in browse or preview mode?

Do you see a button on the right, bottom edge of the status area that reads Continue? (That would indicate that you have a paused script and this can disable a number of items in the status area.)

• 4. Re: Report slider bar is grayed out after upgrading to FileMaker 11
                keknoblock

Actually it happens both in Preview mode as well as Browse mode... When I run the report I'm in Preview mode with everything in the status toolbar grayed out, but I do have a 'continue' button which brings me back to the original layout I was on where all status toolbar items work.  But if I'm in layout mode on any report and then change the view to browse mode I also have only a grayed out status toolbar with no 'continue' button, only the layout drop down to get me to another non-report layout where everything works.  Note that these reports were all fine in FileMaker v9...

• 5. Re: Report slider bar is grayed out after upgrading to FileMaker 11
                  philmodjunk

Sometimes issues with a file or layout are "tolerated" by an older version of FileMaker and are not with a newer release, a newer operating system version or a different operationg system. In those cases, upgrading can seem to break the database when those previously tolerated issues are no a problem for your database.

I'd try recovering the file to see if any problems are found and then, even if no problems are found, test the recovered copy to see if it still has the same problem.

• 6. Re: Report slider bar is grayed out after upgrading to FileMaker 11
                    keknoblock

I successfully recovered my database, but unfortunately still have reports that have no navigation ability.  I took the 'pause' out of the script used to execute it as well.  There must be something wrong somewhere... everything else works fine.  Any other ideas?  I'd hate to tell my users they always have to export to pdf to review a report!

• 7. Re: Report slider bar is grayed out after upgrading to FileMaker 11
                      philmodjunk

Try recreating one of these layouts from scratch. (Don't copy any layout objects from the problem layout.) Then test this new layout and see if you get the same behavior.