Report Subtotals disappear

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Trial

Operating system version

MS XP

Description of the issue

I am using the trial version of FM Pro. I create a report with subtotals. I save the Layout. If I try the report again it works ok. But if go back to the table where the report data came from, so a show all, then reselect the data and rerun the report again the subtotals dissapear on the report. I look at the Layout record and they are there. Am I doing something wrong?

• 1. Re: Report Subtotals disappear
          philmodjunk

Subsummary parts will be visible only if the records are sorted in a sort order that includes the field specified as the "sort by" field for the subsummary part. I suspect that when you reselected the data, you didn't sort the records in an order that included these "break" fields that are needed in order to properly group the records under the subsummary part.

This can actually be a very useful feature as you can create several subsummary parts and then create different style reports simply by changing the sort order so that different combinations of these subsummary parts are visible.

Here's a tutorial on summary reports that illustrates that trick towards the end of the tutorial:  

Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial