Summary

Requests for name/password on reconnect to secondary files

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS

Description of the issue

I have a solution that has two files. One is on my iPhone the other on the Internet. The local file takes data from the secondary file. Obviously the internet based one needs a login and password but I don't want to burden users with this on the local file so the primary file is set to auto login with name/password in the file's settings. This works fine (no password requests) when I initially run the db as the first file logs into the second file in the normal FileMaker manner.
      However on returning to the db I am asked for the login details for the second file. If I press cancel all is fine as the first db then logs straight back in but it's all very messy and not something I'd want a customer to experience.
      My guess is you are testing all running files from the moment you rejoin Go (or in the wrong order) I believe you should test the need to re-login starting with the db that was in view when the solution was left.

• 1. Re: Requests for name/password on reconnect to secondary files
          TSGal

Crispin:

Thank you for your post.

On page 10 of the FileMaker Go Developer's Guide (http://www.filemaker.com/products/filemaker-go/docs/fmgo_development.pdf), it states,

----------

When you tap the Home button on a device, you exit an app immediately, with no message to save changes. FileMaker Go hibernates, storing the state of the file. FileMaker Go also hibernates when you answer a phone call or when you choose Open in Safari.

After FileMaker Go hibernates, you must re-enter your user name and password to return to the file, unless:

you are using the Guest account.

your user name and password match the user name and password set in the File Options dialog.

you have extended privileges and the keyword fmrestorelogin (lowercase) has been defined for those privileges.

----------

Therefore, be sure to define fmrestorelogin in the extended privileges of the second file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Requests for name/password on reconnect to secondary files
            Crispin

This is still a problem. I have done the extended privileges thing but sometimes I get in a loop when I'm out of data signal.

1) The interface file spots the data file is missing asks if I want to reconnect

2) I say no (there is no signal so it's a silly question really)

3) The data file now asks if I want to connect

4)I say no (there is no signal so it's a silly question really)

and back to 1) in a loop.

FMG should not ask the question and better still remember the answer so if several files are after the same file the question is only asked once. I find I have to force quit the app which frankly is beyond most users as you can only do this while focussed on another app.