Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

v10

Operating system version

OSX,  Win7

Description of the issue

Howdy,

I'm able to use Ruby and the Ginjo-Rfm module to retrieve data from a "one file" FM database.
      However, when I try to use the same method to retrieve data from a "separation model" FM database,
      I encounter problems.

With "one file" database, no problemo...
      With "SM" database, it will list layouts, but will go no further...
      and the Ginjo-Rfm docs do not cover SM topics...

Could anyone please elaborate on how to solve this problem,..or offer some diagnostic steps
      to help us find how to make this work?

I'm an experienced programmer generally speaking, but relatively new to using FM.

Our system is comprised of a MacMini running FM Pro, with Win7 clients.
      The database itself is not terribly large,..arguably should've been setup as a one-file solution initially,
      but it wasn't, and it will have to stay a separated-model db for foreseeable future.
      We need to grab data directly, and not use an intermediary format/program like Excel,etc..

Any and all advice or help is most greatly appreciated,
      Cheers,
      Jim

• 1. Re: Retrieving data via Ruby, One-File vs Separation Model issues
          philmodjunk

With an SM setup you have TWO files. I don't recognize "ruby" or "Ginjo-Rfm" at all, but what you describe sounds like you attempted to access the interface file--which will have layouts, but no data--when you should have been accessing the data file--which stores the actual data.

• 2. Re: Retrieving data via Ruby, One-File vs Separation Model issues
            jpolk5000

Hi Phil, thanks for responding...

Yes, one of the few things I can say with certainty regarding this separation model is that there are indeed *two* files, lolol...

Anyhoo, tried pointing my Ruby script to the data file,..and I get back:

UnableToOpenFileError occurred: (FileMaker Error #802)

which is nonsense really...From within the FMP UI, I can easily open and view the database...giving the same

username/password combo...

I'm getting the impression, after reading as much as possible regarding the SM model, that some kind of bridge

that exists between the two is gone, or was never built....since hereto, has only been accessed manually, via FMP UI.

Now,..doing this programatically with Ruby script, and behaviour is different ...(different from UI, meaning that it opens in UI)

Are there any kind of diagnostics or similar I can run/do that will show links between the two?

Given a record field in the UI file, how does one find the corresponding data value in the DB file ?

Thank you very much,

Jim