Reverse page orientation in Print menu does not work

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.7.4

Description of the issue

Calling Print - either from menu or from a script instruction - allow you to set "Reverse page orientation" in the "Layout tab". However selection or not has no effect on printed output: the printed page has same orientation with or without selection of "Reverse page orientation". The nearby "Flip horizontally" does work. However, the page icon (with 1, 2, 3 or 4) does not display the selection - which is normally done in other applications.

Is it an important problem? Yes, in certain circumstances. I have to print a report, which is either 1 or 2 side long. The report is printed on paper with company logo preprinted.  And the output must be done in duplex. I need to control the paper orientation to automatically switch between 1 or 2 page.

• 1. Re: Reverse page orientation in Print menu does not work
          cooldan

I am having the same problem using FMP 12.0.2 & MAC 10.7.4

I can print to Preview & then select print & layout & reverse page orientation & it works.

I have the same FMP & MAC OS on 2 other computers & have several FMP files that all print OK using RPO, it is just this one file.

I think it has something to do with upgrading to FMP 11 & then to MAC Lion. It seems to be connected to the "Adobe PDFPDE700" that no longer works with MAC OS Lion. I think this plug-in set/or took over certain print commands that cannot now be changed in the file. I had Adobe 7 on that computer but I never upgraded it & when I upgraded to FMP 12 I lost the ability to use any PPC programs & since the PDE is connected to Adobe 7, I get a hinky feeling it is corrupted by that. Adobe hasn't/can't upgrade to Lion so I am SOL.

I print a lot of different envelopes & I NEED THE RPO command to work.

I have attached a jpeg of the Layout selection. I can select it but it doesn't affect the page printout.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

• 2. Re: Reverse page orientation in Print menu does not work
            cooldan

I have solved the problem, but I don't know if it will work with everyone. The problem occurs when you have  Adobe Acrobat 7.0 on your MAC prior to Mac Lion. An extension/plugin from Adobe "Adobe PDFPDE700". It is listed in Print selections as "Unsupported PDFPDE700". 

To cure the problem, open you filemake database that you print any "reverse page orientations" from, select all files, export all files to an text file or FMP file. This is to preserve your data. 

Then remove Adobe 7 & all related files from your computer "BEFORE DOING THE FOLLOWING." You can get the instructions & file list from Adobe.com. This step is mandatory, as far as I can tell.

You now need a copy of you database prior to FMP 12. I got mine from Time Machine by looking at my application folders until I found a backup without FMP 12. I then restored the database to my current desktop. Converted it to FMP 12, deleted all records, then imported from the previously saved exported file. 

I then verified the total records & tested a few for correctnesss. 

Prints now accept "reverse page orientation" & print correctly.

This was an Adobe mixup when they quit supporting the Apple printing system. A Heads up would have saved me many days of hassle.

There may be another way to achieve this, but I haven't found it & no one else has come up with a cure.

• 3. Re: Reverse page orientation in Print menu does not work
              cooldan

I encounter the problem when I converted to Mac Lion & FMP 12 near the same date.

the problem seems to be the Adobe Acrobat PDEPDF700. 

Try my solution, drop me a note if you have any questions.

It worked for me, YEH!

Good Luck.

Dan