1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 20, 2013 1:16 PM by disabled_ntaylor

Right-click / control-click functionality disappears when changing layouts in layout mode

MarkKimbrell

Summary

Right-click / control-click functionality disappears when changing layouts in layout mode

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v3

Operating system version

OSX Lion

Description of the issue

I've noticed that when I'm in layout mode, sometimes when I switch layouts and quickly right-click on a field, the right-click functionality is "lost". At that point, right-clicks and control-left-clicks do nothing in layout mode (browse mode is not affected). The effect is not constrained to the window in which this happens.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Enter layout mode.
      2. Switch to another layout using the forward/backward buttons in the status bar.
      3. Right-click on a field.

Expected result

Normal right-click functionality.

Actual result

Nothing happens.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

None.

Workaround

Restart FileMaker...

• 1. Re: Right-click / control-click functionality disappears when changing layouts in layout mode

Mark Kimbrell:

Thank you for the post.

Using FileMaker Pro 12.0v3, running on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5, I attempted to replicate this by:

1. Creating a new database file with three layouts.

2. Placing two fields on each layout. 

3. Using the layout drop-down, switched layouts multiple times, and immediately right-clicked on a field after the switch.

Each time the right-click dialog was seen. Do I need anything else in order to duplicate?

I recommend running a recover on this file to see if it might be damaged. Even if no problems are found by recovery, then I'd test the recovered copy for the same strange behavior.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no  problems found".

2. Recover does not detect all problems

3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly

4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back-up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledge base article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

If recovery shows no errors, then can you create a new simple test file in FileMaker Pro 12 that replicates this particular behavior?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.