1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2012 2:37 PM by philmodjunk

RSS and filemaker 10

joestroll

Summary

RSS and filemaker 10

Description of the issue

It seems that a file along with it's template that I've used with no problems has no all of a sudden begin to need attention. WHenever I go to add a client company into my template OR hit the CMD + F key , a pop up for "add a RSS to my MAIL "occurs.  It seems to be the same request time and time again for adding the same RSS. I have deleted the RSS request.I have zapped the pramI have run Disk Untility I am at a loss of what to do and I find it very annoying and cannot add nor look up any record without the request for adding a RSS to mail. I also have quit the mail program while entering data and it still starts the mail program and runs the same request for RSS to mail. Any suggestions, please? It's driving me nuts. Thanks Joe

• 1. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
          TSGal

joestroll:

Thank you for your post.

Were any keyboard shortcuts set up?  Go into System Preferences, click on Keyboard & Mouse and select the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.  If you don't think you set anything here, then click on Restore Defaults.

Is this only happening with this one file?  That is, does this occur on any other file?

If this occurs on all files, then it is possible your copy of FileMaker Pro has become damaged.  I would uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro.

If this only occurs with this one file, then there is something in the file that FileMaker Pro does not like.  I would close the file, pull down the File menu and select "Recover...".  FileMaker Pro will do its best to correct the file.  When finished, open the RECOVERED file and see if the problem persists.

Let me know your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
            joestroll

Thank you for the reply.  

I did the  step into System Preferences, click on Keyboard & Mouse and select the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.  If you don't think you set anything here, then click on Restore Defaults.  

This only occurs with this one file

This step I first checked on the file consistency and it found no errors. BUT... When I went into the log it found 300 errors at first and then it looked like it corrected them.  I have NOT recovered the file, awaiting your reply.

THIS STEP I'm holding off until I hear back from you regarding the above.

I would close the file, pull down the File menu and select "Recover...".  FileMaker Pro will do its best to correct the file.  When finished, open the RECOVERED file and see if the problem persists. 

Thanks again,

Joe 

• 3. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
              TSGal

joestroll:

It sounds like the file was corrupt.  However, I'm still uncertain if there was any damage to the file.

Open the file in FileMaker Pro and see if the problem persists.  If not, then you are probably okay.  If the problem still persists, then definitely run a Recover on the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                joestroll

Okay, I have now completed everything you suggested.

It seems if Im on the filemaker and I open filemaker to open REMOTELY this file the RSS feeds do not happen.

It seems to happen from another MAC when I use Filemaker 10 and click on the tabs for either CONTACTS or COMPANY up pops the RSS Feed.

I have also deleted this RSS feed serval times and it does get deleted but returns with every click between the two layouts.

Again, only from my desktop NOT from any other client in the office nor from the filemaker server using a client to open the file.

Have another opinion I cant stand the frustration of this all day.

Joe

• 5. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                  TSGal

joestroll:

Since this happens on only one machine, we'll need to do a little sleuthing to find the cause.

Thinking it might be the application, I would usually ask you to reinstall FileMaker Pro, but since you can open the file on a remote server without having this problem, and since this is the only file that has the problem, I seriously doubt this is the cause.

When FileMaker Pro launches, it looks at a Preferences file on the local drive.  If FileMaker Pro doesn't see it, a new one is created.  Let's quit FileMaker Pro and remove the preferences file.  It is located in the following directory:

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.pro.plist

Next, run Disk Utility and repair disk permissions.  This is another longshot, but a possibility.  Disk Utility is located in the following directory:

Hard Disk -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

Launch Disk Utility, click on the hard disk and select "Repair disk permissions"

Let's try these two steps and see what happens.  I'm trying to avoid doing a complete OS reinstall.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                    joestroll

Well.... I followed your recent suggestions and went to the preferences and removed it.  I also ran Disk Utiity

When I started the file and moved the the CONTACTS or COMPANY tab again the same exact RSS came up.

Funny thing about this RSS, it doesn't give me any feeds and keeps wanting me to add it to my list of RSS feeds.

Suggestions?

Joe

• 7. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                      TSGal

joestroll:

I've run this through several people in Tech Support, and besides the incredulous "What?", nobody has any additional suggestions.  Each person said to uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro because of the interaction with Mail messages, but that was already done from an earlier post.  If you ever do find the reason for the conflict, please let us know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                        joestroll

I think I found it.  I loaded on my desktop a filemaker Server Trial 10.  I liked it and bought it but installed the download file on another server in the office.

Now both servers are running on two different servers.  The purchased on on server b and the trial on serverE.

My desktop SERVER Filemaker 10 ADMIN will NOT let me into the local host for this server.  I think that this is the messed up area that is throwing else everything off

How do I remove the TRials from server E and then I will reinstall filemaker pro 10 advanced again?

Lastly, I want to bulk send email using SMTP. 

I go to set it up and I get "server rejected me."  I checked everything and I can send emails individually through our filemaker clients from the filemaker file that is being served by server B. 

I also receive updates from the filemaker server 10 on the backups which seems to be workingvia my email account.

Therefore, do I need to have purhcased the more expensive Filemaker Server ADVANCED to do the SMTP bulk emails?  Please tell me no, especially in these tough economic times?

Hope to hear from you soon TSGal

Joe

• 9. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                          joestroll

here's the RSS feed:

feed://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results/rss.xml?term=vivaldi&rcv_d=14&count=1000

Becareful with it but this eems to cause me alots of problems.

Joe

• 10. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                            TSGal

joestroll:

If you have the Server Trial on serverE, you can trash the entire folder.  If the ADMIN does not allow you onto that server, have him remove the trial version from that machine.

Regarding SMTP, make sure you have the correct name for the outgoing SMTP server.  Verify the port is 25 with the Admin of the SMTP server.

If this works from other machines, then there is something set up on that one machine that is stopping you from sending.  You will need to do some additional sleuthing.

You do NOT need FileMaker Advanced to send SMTP.  FileMaker Pro can also send emails via SMTP.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                              joestroll

I am the admin and th eowner of the business

I dod not have a folder other than filemaker server in the Library.  Is this the folder you are referring to?

• 12. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                                TSGal
                                If you are the admin, then feel free to remove the FileMaker Server trial folder from the server.  Just make sure you don't remove the working FileMaker Server folder!

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.
                                • 13. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                                  joestroll

I did removed the filemaker server from SERVER E and I still have the problem with filemaker advanced 10.

I will reload the program again.

Thank you for your help, TSGal

Joe

• 14. Re: RSS and filemaker 10
                                    joestroll

I am suppose to DEACTIVATE fM Adv 10 before uninstalling yet the deactivate is NOT under the Hlep menu?

Can you help me?

Joe

1 2 Previous Next