0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 8:35 AM by FareedKawar

Running FileMaker scripts via Server Schedules

FareedKawar

Summary

Running FileMaker scripts via Server Schedules

Description of the issue

I have developed a reporting solution for a client that reports on data within a FileMaker based workflow or production database by sending emails to users when certain criteria are met. The reporting solution resides in its own module that brings the data in from tables in the main file (The workflow/ production database), in order to normalise and then analyses it in accordance to the criteria. Now this element of the process, bringing in the data and parsing it  into a normalised data structure, is carried out by a series of scripts that get executed by the server. This is done because it is much faster than doing it through a robot machine and an OS scheduled script. Everything now works fine but I spent sometime troubleshooting a problem that I find bizarre. The problem is that the scripts will not be executed by the server if the main file and the reporting module file reside in different directories on the same server. This I discovered tucked away in a question by a user on the FileMaker forum and the solution is alluded to in the answer by a user with the user name 'etripoli' at http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?message.uid=23507#U23507. The solution is hinted at in the answer. To resolve my problem I put both files in the same directory and everything worked. Now my issue is that whereby I have managed to get the scheduled scripts to work for our solution, it precludes the use of server scheduled scripts in another solution needed by the client. I'm building a synchronisation solution that brings in data from different branches and dishes it back out. This will greatly benefit from the speed of executing it on the server side, but the fact that the files are hosted on different servers let alone different directories means that the scripts will not work. I need to verify that this problem is actually recognised by FileMaker and the community and that if it is, is it a temporary issue that will be fixed in the next release. The questions that I would like to put to the FileMaker developers are: 1. Is the problem as described in the attached pdf and on FileMaker's Forum at http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?message.uid=23507#U23507recognised? 2. Will FMS scheduled FMP scripts ever be able to be used in solutions that use the 'Perform Find' and 'Set Field' script steps between table occurrences from different directories. 3. Will FMS scheduled FMP scripts ever be able to be used in solutions that use the 'Perform Find' and 'Set Field' script steps between table occurrences from different servers. 4. Will FMS scheduled FMP scripts ever be able to be used in solutions that use the 'Perform Find' and 'Set Field' script steps between table occurrences and ODBC shadowed tables.