1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2015 9:45 PM by Markus Schneider

Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"

ontarget

Summary

Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.10.2

Description of the issue

When I try to compile the runtime I get an error that the file is in use or is locked. Both of these are not correct. I even restarted my Mac an still get this error. I made sure the file was read and write in get info, and that also did not stop this error.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Using the Developer tools dialog I stepped through the normal setup.
      I set the file folder.
      Set the file name.
      Selected the runtime and named the runtime file.
      Ran the create runtime and then I get the error.

Expected result

The file should run and build the runtime.

Actual result

The runtime does not work?

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

See attached file.

Workaround

None

Filemaker_Runtime_error.jpg

• 1. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
          TSGal

Vaughn Clement:

Thank you for your post.

I'll assume you are using Mac OS X 10.10.1, since 10.10.2 doesn't yet exist.

This error generally appears if you not logged in to your Mac with full admin privileges.  Therefore, log in with full admin privileges and try creating the Runtime file again.  If this still fails, create a new file with one table, one field, and one layout.  Then, try creating the Runtime file again.  If this still fails, then try reinstalling FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 Advanced again.  If this still fails, go to another machine and see if you are able to create a Runtime file.  If this also fails, download a fresh copy of FileMaker Pro 13.0v4 Advanced and try again.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
            ontarget

I am a IOS developer so I have OSX 10.10.2

I did have the admin settings as show in attached.

The reason I have FM 13.04 update is this issue started in v13.02 which was doing the same error, so I updated to see if that would correct the error. It did not fix the error. 

The app I tried to compile to a runtime was one that I did a Save As Copy so I could add licensing data on the splash screen prior to sending it to a client. 

*** Testing I used a different file to make a runtime and this time I allowed it to finish the runtime after the first error. I now have a second error "The primary file "DEBUG" cannot be found and is required for this application". At this point it is looking for the debug file, and it opened a Open Dialog. 

I searched the FM 13 app folders for the file and I did not find it there?

The app runtime application startup icon was not created in the runtime build for the tested app.

• 3. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
              TSGal

Vaughn Clement:

Thank you for the information.  Since I don't have this unreleased version of Mac OS X, I have sent the information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  If I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                TSGal

Vaughn Clement:

Do you copy over the installed FileMaker Pro Advanced to the Mac OS X 10.10.2 Beta installation, or did you do a fresh (re)install of FileMaker Pro Advanced?  Testing has encountered this issue when copying over the application to save time, but the new Beta version has more strict rules about user access.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                  ontarget

Hi

looking at your comment today about OS X 10.10.04:

I was seeing this issue in the 02 version of OS X. I upgraded thinking that the .04 version would solve the issue. Therefore I assume that your comment about replacing the .04 version will not correct the error and getting. How does the debug file being missing fit into this error code. Is that a cause or effect of the first error indicating a locked file version?

• 6. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                    TSGal

Vaughn Clement:

Unknown.  I am not a beta site of the new operating system.

Right now, Testing wants to make sure this was a fresh install of FileMaker Pro and not a version copied over.  Testing does have the latest Beta release, and they are not able to replicate the issue.  That is, they are able to create a Runtime file and launch it.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                      ontarget

Hi

Can I suggest that I send you the file I am trying to build the runtime with and see if the app can be made into a runtime?

• 8. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                        TSGal

Vaughn Clement:

Although Testing only wanted to know if this was a fresh install of FileMaker Pro or a version copied over, feel free to send in your solution.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                          ontarget

TSGal - 10.10.2 Runtime failure

I sent you an email but it was not delivered? Got a non delivered email.

Support

Please see below:  Link to file download: from fileswap.com

• 10. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                            ontarget

Support

I am wondering if there is something missing in the FM Security Privilege Set for "FileMaker" as one of the selections? I opened the V13.04 and the FM 11 to see if I was correct, but they look very similar.

I am sending a screenshot of each one to you... first FM 11

• 11. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                              ontarget

Support

I am wondering if there is something missing in the FM Security Privilege Set for "FileMaker" as one of the selections? I opened the V13.04 and the FM 11 to see if I was correct, but they look very similar.

I am sending a screenshot of each one to you... FM 12, 13

• 12. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                                TSGal

Vaughn Clement:

The only difference you would see for FileMaker Pro 13 is that Instant Web Publishing does not exist, and WebDirect is now an option.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                                  ontarget

Support

Are we at an end point? The errors are still an issue and I have no way to product a runtime app. What is the next ster to resolve this issue?

• 14. Re: Runtime Error "file is locked or in use"
                                    Markus Schneider

I didn't pay much attention to this - but there was a problem with access rigths:

programs/FileMaker Pro/FMI Runtime Ressources -> read-write for all users

might be helpfull

1 2 3 Previous Next