3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2009 1:08 AM by Pierecker

Runtime locks up when installed and run under Vista

FileFox

Summary

Runtime locks up when installed and run under Vista

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 10.0v1 - RuntimeFileMaker Pro 10.0v2 - Runtime Operating System(s) involved:Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 - 32 Bit on a MacBook 13 Inch, Intel 1.2GHZThis does not happen under Windows XP service Pack 3, Mac OS X 10.4, Mac OS 10.5 Detailed description of the issue:I have a large Runtime solution that I am unable to successfully install under Windows Vista when using any sort of compression or installer.The only way it works is if the Runtime folder remains uncompressed and is being dragged directly onto the hard drive. As soon as the file is 'modified' through compression the uncompressed version locks up and I am unable to modify it in any way.This happens whether the runtime solution was generated under XP or Vista, whether the runtime installer is created on XP or Vista, whether the runtime files are dropped into the program folder prior to compression and whether the runtime files are downloaded or installed from a CD. The only exception is installing the runtime solution onto Vista's desktop instead of the program folder. Actual Result:Runtime solution can be launched but not modified after installation. Vista grants a pop up message "This action cannot be performed because this file is not modifiable."Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:Both XP and Vista are virgin installs on their own partitions with only Filemaker 10 and a few install-maker on the hard drive. The Runtime solution works flawless on Mac OS X and on XP. Any workarounds that you have found:A. Runtime folder remains uncompressed and is being dragged onto the hard drive directly. Not an option for electronic downloads since file is 500 MB +.B. Able to ‘install’ the runtime solution if the desired solution folder is saved onto the desktop instead of Vista's program folder. I'm guessing this has to do with Vista permission but am at a total loss. Any help is truly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Runtime locks up when installed and run under Vista
          philmodjunk

That sounds like the error message you get when the filemaker file's properties are set to "Read Only". Any chance that the installer is setting the file property to this setting?

You probably know how to check this, but just in case, you can right-click the database file and choose "Properties" to see if the Read Only check box is selected.

• 2. Re: Runtime locks up when installed and run under Vista
            FileFox

Thank you kindly for you response, PhilModJunk. The owner was changed from Users(MacBookVista\Users) to SYSTEM and the User account was set to read only. Changing the Users Account to full access solved all the problems. I feel kind of silly assuming I was the Administrator with full access all this time which is why I never bothered to check the User setting. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• 3. Re: Runtime locks up when installed and run under Vista
              Pierecker

A standard program folder in c:\programs has limited access. Therefore, if you try to create a directory or write to a file, the directories and files are not really written in the program folder than into a "virtual store".

So a runtime should write a copy of the bound file to the documents or preferences folder or something like "users/[username]/library/application support/" (OSX) - depending on what the solution does (or should do ;-)

Then  you have to launch this file. Whitout a file-plugin this is really a pain to do (but it can be done).

Applications should not change anything in the programs/applications folder. Not under XP an d not under OSX. As XP and OSX tolerate this (given the rights) no one seemed to see this as a serious problem. But now we have Vista and so I don´t understand why Filemaker Adv does not provide an easy way to solve this problem. Some kind of starter file for solutions ...