runtime on OSX won't run

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11, 10

Operating system version

OSX 10.7x, 10.6x

Description of the issue

starting a runtime brings up the error-msg 'file 'debug...' not available (or similar) and the runtime can't start up

Steps to reproduce the problem

create a runtime on osx. start that runtime.

Expected result

running runtime

Actual result

no running runtime

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

see above

Configuration information

see above, tested it on two different computers, one with 10.7.4 and FMA11, the other with 10.6.8 and FMA10. same result

Workaround

go to the application folder, into the FileMaker Advanced folder, set the priviledges for the 'FMI runtime resources' (or similar) folder to ReadWrite for all users (and all containing files). Afterwards, runtimes can be created - and they will run

I'm sure that this was reported previously because I've read about that issue - but I wasn't able to find anything here

• 1. Re: runtime on OSX won't run
          codecruncher

This is expected behavior on OS X. OS X Permission have to be set manually for each runtime solution before distributing the solution to clients. There is a free software called BatChmod that makes this step a little easier. Also remember to code sign your application if you want your clients to be able to run your solution on OS X 10.8 or higher.

• 2. Re: runtime on OSX won't run
            Markus Schneider
            This isn't expected behavior... The permission of the FileMaker Folder inside of the APPLICATIONS FOLDER must be altered - not the runtime. And why needs FM to WRITE into that folder?
            • 3. Re: runtime on OSX won't run
              codecruncher

Maybe I misunderstood your problem. Does your runtime work correctly if you change the permission of your FM files inside your runtime folder?

• 4. Re: runtime on OSX won't run
                philmodjunk

And why needs FM to WRITE into that folder?

Runtime solutions but the database file and the application file--along with a truckload of other files--all into one folder. The database file needs write permission in order for you to be able to open the solution and edit data. but normally, you get a message "this file is not modifiable" error message when you open a database file that does not have "write permission".

• 5. Re: runtime on OSX won't run
                  Markus Schneider
                  seems to be hard to understand )-: - create a runtime from a FileMaker solution on YOUR Mac - start that runtime on YOUR Mac -> won't run, brings message telling You that the file 'debug'-whatever isn't there - delete that runtime on YOUR Mac - got to the FileMaker Advanced folder inside the applications folder of YOUR proper Mac - set the access priv's of the 'FMY runtime resources' folder (inside the FM ADV folder of the app' folder of YOUR Mac) to read/write for EVERYONE, set those privs to all of the files inside that folder (not sure if the last step is really important) - create the runtime again - run the runtime on YOUR Mac will run now without any problems (10.7.4 and 10.6.8, FM11 and FM10) as noted in the first post, this issue (and the solution as well) can be found on several forums - but not here... therefore I'm unsure if somebody is aware of it (seemes to be true..,) and again: Why needs FM to write anything INTO the Applications folder? IMHO the wrong way to heaven (-: and, btw, it's really annoying writing messages here in this forum using an iPad..
                  • 6. Re: runtime on OSX won't run
                    Markus Schneider
                    ouch again. Posting from iPad is a pure catastrophe! every linebreak will be ignored. Happy reading, best to ignore the whole thing, arrgh - and sorry!
                    • 7. Re: runtime on OSX won't run
                      codecruncher

My FMI Runtime Resource folder has Read&Write access for both system and admin. A number of issues that FileMaker exhibits on OS X can be fixed by repairing your OS X permissions on a regular basis with Disk Utility or OnyX.

• 8. Re: runtime on OSX won't run
                        codecruncher

Both FileMaker 12 and 11 have the same permissions for the FMI Runtime Resource folder and I never had a similar problem. Are you signed in as a guest or administrator on your mac?

• 9. Re: runtime on OSX won't run
                          philmodjunk

The location of your runtime folder created by this process is key. I wouldn't put it in the apps folder on a mac nor in the program folder on windows as the database folder placed within it needs write permission and many OS systems won't allow that inside that specific directory.

I've seen the "debug" issue before. I may not be remembering correctly, but it didn't turn out to be a write permissions issue. Instead it had to do with file extensions and the settings in your OS for what application launches when a file is double of a given type is doubleclicked.

Inside your solution folder, FileMaker Advanced puts a Crippled copy of the fileMaker application. What happens if you double click this file? Do you get the above error message or does your runtime open correctly?