Runtime USR files open incorrectly

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Version 11.0v4

Operating system version

OSX

Description of the issue

I created both Mac and a Windows FM runtime solutions with a trial version. The file names are sample.exe and sample.app.

When I double click on the sample.USR file it opens displaying an older version of the solution e.g.  old user registration name, plus an old company logo and previous version of the application. The custom splash screen is displayed when a user exits the application.

It appears that there is a program bug with respect to the file extension USR in creating a Mac runtime solution in FileMaker Pro Advanced Version 11.

Expected result

The impact is that if I allowed people to download a trial Mac version, they could open the old out-of-date runtime version by double clicking on the sample.USR file.

The Windows runtime solution using the USR extension works correctly.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages appear.

Workaround

If I change the USR file extension to say, "DAT" and if I double click on this file (sample.dat) the runtime solution works correctly and shows the correct registration name.

Thus, when creating a Mac runtime solution do not use the file extension USR.

The Windows runtime solution using the USR extension works correctly.

• 1. Re: Runtime USR files open incorrectly
          TSGal

Frank Wade:

Thank you for your post.

The .USR file is the actual database file.  If you double click the application name, it will open using the .USR file.  With the solutions I created, if I perform a Get Info on the file, the .USR files are set to open with Runtime.  However, if I try to open this file without Runtime launched, I receive an error message.  Instead, open the file using the Runtime application created.  For example, when I create a Runtime from the file Test.fp7, I may name the Runtime application "TSGal", and inside the resulting "TSGal" folder, I will have the application TSGal and Test.USR (along with an Extensions folder and FMP Acknowledgements.pdf file).

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.