8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 7:01 AM by TSGal

SASE - deactivated schedules keep working

fabriceN

Summary

SASE - deactivated schedules keep working

Description of the issue

Hi, FMS 10 : if a SASE (server side script) is deactivated but did not finish properly (I disconnected the client), then it keeps performing regardless of its activation status.Very annoying, making it almost impossible to debug those scripts.By the way (feature request), a "Stop schedule" item should appear in the local menu on the Schedules tab. For now we have to go to the client tab and disconnect the client, whose name is not always obvious on a server hosting many files with many schedules.  Fabrice 

• 1. Re: SASE - deactivated schedules keep working
          TSGal

fabriceN:

Thank you for your post.

I have forwarded the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.

In regards to the feature request, please enter the information into the feature request web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

Yes, I can easily copy your request and paste it into the form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.  Also, when entering the request, please take some time to explain why you think this request is necessary.  Providing real life examples also help get the point across.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: SASE - deactivated schedules keep working
            TSGal

fabriceN:

Our Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department wants to know:

1. Is this happening on a Mac or Windows?

2. What operating system and version?

3. How long after the schedule is deactivated does the script keep running?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: SASE - deactivated schedules keep working
              fabriceN

Hi,

Server is on a Leopard (G4) machine.

What happens is :

- a SASE script is in a loop or an error and cannot complete

- I deactivate it, but it keeps running (normal)

- I kill it by disconnecting the 'client'

- It re-starts 'immediately' (takes a few seconds to appear on the console) 

• 4. Re: SASE - deactivated schedules keep working
                TSGal

fabriceN:

I have forwarded your information to the Testers.  I will report back when I hear more information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: SASE - deactivated schedules keep working
                  TSGal

fabriceN:

Here are some additional questions/comments from our Testing department.

"It appears the User Account Control and database are not communication well.  From what the customer has described so far, it looks like he is disconnecting the clients and trying to deactivate schedule using the User Account Control.  But since I suspect that the connection is broken, ask the customer to do the following:

1. Try listing the schedules via the command line interface:

fmsadmin list schedules

2. Deactivate the schedule via the command line interface:

fmsadmin disable schedule

3. After disabling the schedule, then disconnect the client via the command line interface:

fmsadmin disconnect client 

If the command line interface works, then it is not really a schedule problem."

------------

Let me know how this works for you.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: SASE - deactivated schedules keep working
                    fabriceN

Hi,

I understand that 'User Account Control' means the 'Clients' section of the FMS Console.

I didn't use the command line but :

- When I first deactivate the schedule, I can quit the console, start it again and it keeps showing the schedule as deactivated, so I'm quite sure this is successful

- When I disconnect a 'client' (a SASE client I mean), then it displays "Cancelled by user" or something of the sort immediatly, and I receive an e-mail saying that the schedule was cancelled by user. So again, it seems successful.

I can try with the command line interface, but I can reproduce this bug easily, and I'm surprised the testers couldn't. Are they really testing it on a script blocked in a loop ? Actually, in the last case I remember, the script couldn't commit a record due to a data validation error.

• 7. Re: SASE - deactivated schedules keep working
                      TSGal

fabriceN:

I have forwarded the information to the testers.  I will reply when I hear more information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: SASE - deactivated schedules keep working
                        TSGal

fabriceN:

Here is the latest from Testing:

"I cannot reproduce the problem.  The only way this problem can occur is if the communication between the server and User account control is broken. We need information from the customer to determine that.  If that is not the case, we really need to see what is going on.

Please ask the customer to run the following commands using the command line interface and send us the output.

1) Try listing the schedules via command line interface:

fmsadmin list schedules

2) Deactivate the schedule using command line interface:

fmsadmin disable schedule

3) List the schedules again:

fmsadmin list schedules

4) List clients, disconnect clients, and list clients again.

fmsadmin list clients

fmsadmin discconect clients

fmsadmin list clients 

From the steps the customer mentioned, it looks like he is using the checkbox to deactivate the schedule.  Can he please confirm that.  What does the next run column for the Schedule say once he deactivate it?

Also, if he can send us the script, it might be helpful."

--------------

If you don't want to post the output here, I have sent you a private message (top of this screen - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the output. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.