Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0 v4

Operating system version

Mac OSZ 10.8.3

Description of the issue

I use to produce a report from my database and send it to PDF in order to print it. I use that function since many months an never had a problem before.
      I installed the last version of Filemaker Pro yesterday, and now it simply crashes.
      It also crashes from the menu, with all layouts.
      I found such problems under Windows, but it seems the problem just migrated to Mac...

Steps to reproduce the problem

Simply save a layout to PDF

Expected result

a PDF

Actual result

a Crash

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

there is not message error. Simply crash!

• 1. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
          philmodjunk

Crashes can damage your file and damage to your file can cause crashes.

For both of those reasons, you should run a recover on your file to check it for damage.

Try creating a small test file that also uses Save As PDF in the same fashion as you current file (by hand? in a script?)

See if it also crashes.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
            jmputz

Thanks for your answer.

I tried to recover the file, and as expected, no problem found. As this does not mean there is no problem with the file, I restored a version from about 6 weeks ago (when it still worked...) and I get exactly the same crash.

The system crashes with my current database, with the recovered one and with an old copy from 6 weeks ago (which is of course not suitable for any use, except for testing.

So I tried once again with a very old copy (more than one year ago), and... surprise? crash again.

I guess none of my files are corrupt. I think this is a bug introduced with the latest version of Filemaker.

• 3. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
              philmodjunk

I think your conclusion is very possible, but not the only one. Just to be sure, create a brand new, simple test file from scratch and see if it also crashes.

We've also had a report of a crash recently that stopped happening when the user changed fonts so you might try taking a copy of your layout, duplicating it, selecting all objects  and then changing all the text/buttons/fields to a different font to see if you get the same crash behavior.

• 4. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                jmputz

I created the most simple page you can imagine, with default font. And it crashes too...!

I send you a screenshot of this new file (this is the only layout in that file...) 

I definitely think there is something wrong with the version 12.0 v4 for mac...

• 5. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                  Fred(CH)

Bonjour Jean-Marie,

I have few questions (not solutions at this time, sorry) :

• Did you always check Open automatically on Save a file dialog box ? Just asking to know if the problem is on opening or on generating the PDF...
                       • Did you test on many different Macs ?

Let us know...

Bye, Fred

• 6. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                    jmputz

Hi Fred,

I am not sure to understand your first question? I use Filemaker for about 5 years now, and I never a file dialog box asking me to open automatically...

The problem occurs when saving to PDF (but I never use this function, I just tried for testing sinds I have that problem). It happens within a script.

I add 2 screenshots: 

•           the script, just before crashing
                    •      
                    •           the generated list which has to be converted in PDF (at least one page of this list)

Hope this can help

(I realize I can only send one image at the time...) Second will follow

• 7. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                      jmputz

And here the second image

• 8. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                        jmputz

Oh, I forgot to say I only have one mac....

Is there a way for you to identify a Problem Report whickh is generated by the system as being mine?

• 9. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                          Fred(CH)

Jean-Marie,

Thank you for replies. Excuse me for my bad english. I sent you a screenshot of my previous idea. But anyways, the problem is elsewhere...

As files can be damaged, applications too. I suggest you to remove FileMaker Pro Advanced 12 folder (or dragg it on Desktop) and reinstall it from your original copy and passing the udapte one more time.

My suggestion cans seem strange but i almost experienced this type of issue.

Speculating, but i hope this can help you...

Bye, fred

• 10. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                            jmputz

Well... this is very strange.

I removed my copy of Filemaker and restored an older version (which I am sure was working) of Filemaker 12.0 v3. Same problem. Same crash.

So I imagine the problem does not come from Falemaker.

I remember having installed Acrobat X Pro recently (Adobe). I started that program and it ask me if I want to write PDF with Acrobat instead of Preview. I had nothing to loose anyway.
                                 And... Miracle!!!. This made the job. 

Seems to work now. Thanks everybody for all the efforts. May be this can help other people with the same problem.

• 11. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                              Fred(CH)

Well done Jean-Marie !

yes

• 12. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                                RuthTait

I'm using OS 10.7.5

I am also not able to save to pdf. There seem to be numerous reports of this issue on various platforms on this forum dating back more than a year but no replies from FM. What's going on?

I need the pdf document to present to clients and if I cannot do so, FM is not much good to me.

• 13. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3

Ruth Tait:

Thank you for the reply.

The issue by the original poster was resolved by using Apple's Preview as the PDF reader instead of Adobe. I have never been able to personally replicate a crash when using Save as PDF in a newly created database file, so no report has been made to Testing and Development. 

Here are some additional questions which may help us to narrow down your particular issue:

1. Does this occur on more than one computer?

2. Does this only occur with a single database file or can this be replicated with a new database file?

3. Is the default PDF reader Preview or are any other PDF readers installed?

If you are able to replicate this behavior outside of the current database file, using a new database file built in FileMaker Pro 11 (then converted to 12) or newly built in FileMaker Pro 12, then please let me know and I will be happy to take a look at the newly created sample file.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Save as PDF crashes on OSX 10.8.3
                                    philmodjunk

@TS Falcon,

While many of us (you and I included) aren't having crash issues with Save As PDF. A review of this section of the form brings up many different reports of crashing when Saving As PDF from FileMaker 12. I suggest reporting this from that perspective

1 2 Previous Next