Save as PDF doesn't match Preview

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11 v3

Operating system version

Windows XP SP3

Description of the issue

For certain reports that I am generating, the Preview will have only one page but the generated PDF will have two pages.

In another instance, the Preview has tabbed columns lining up but the output to PDF and the printer misalign the columns.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Generate report, enter Preview Mode, Save as PDF or Print.

Expected result

That a generated PDF or hard copy will look exactly like the Preview mode display.

Actual result

Generated PDF or hard copy adds a page or misaligns tabs.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

n/a

Workaround

n/a

• 1. Re: Save as PDF doesn't match Preview
          philmodjunk

Options selected in Printer Setup affect out put for both Saved PDF's and printed hard copy. Can you confirm that you had exactly the same options specified in printer setup for both saving as PDF and for Preview? A different page size or orientation, just to name some possibilities could result in the preview showing one page and the PDF showing more than one.

• 2. Re: Save as PDF doesn't match Preview
            RickWhitelaw

"For certain reports that I am generating, the Preview will have only one page but the generated PDF will have two pages."

Is your layout more than one page? I believe that if a layout is two pages but there is no data on the second page, Preview Mode will only show the number of pages containing data (1), but a printer (or saving as PDF) would print out both pages unless instructed otherwise. I'm not positive about this, but I seem to recall having a portal from page 1 "continued" on page 2. Even if no data was present in the page 2 portal it would print (PDF) but NOT show up in Preview Mode.

RW

• 3. Re: Save as PDF doesn't match Preview
              TheBridge

Thank you both for your quick responses.

Yes, Phil, I'm reasonably certain that the Printer Setup settings are the same... essentially my script goes to the report layout in a new window, sets the print/page setup settings, then enters Preview mode and pauses until the user hits return, at which point they are given the option to print to printer or save as pdf.

Rick, I've never heard of the effect you're describing but it's worth considering. The layout itself does not break across pages but the report may, depending on how many records are in the found set of the report. For what it's worth, I never use portals on report layouts because it's so difficult to manage page breaks and such.

In any case, you've both given me valuable hints. Thanks!

Peter

• 4. Re: Save as PDF doesn't match Preview
                philmodjunk

I don't follow what you mean by this:

"In another instance, the Preview has tabbed columns lining up but the output to PDF and the printer misalign the columns."

Tabbed Columns?

I wonder if there might be an issue with the printer driver substituting a font here...

• 5. Re: Save as PDF doesn't match Preview
                  RickWhitelaw

Peter,

I just had what I described in my last reply happen again. I have a layout with a portal showing records 1-20 on page 1, and 21-40 on page 2. There is data in only rows 1-11 on page 1. In Preview mode FM shows 1 page only. I printed, forgot to select a page range of 1-1, and both pages printed. I'm not sure this has much to do with your situation as you don't use portals, but it may.

RW

• 6. Re: Save as PDF doesn't match Preview
                    TheBridge

Phil,

A flaw in the printing mechanism -- whatever it is going on between the preview and the actual output -- is sort of what I suspect too. It's worth noting that the database and layout are both developed on Mac but deployed on Windows. This effect only happens in Windows, not the Mac.

I'm going to try redesigning the layout entirely on Windows and see if that has an impact. I'll report back here in any case.

Rick, I suspect that the effect you're seeing is due to the portals -- long ago I submitted a feature request to FMI to create a special "Portal" part for layouts that would allow us to show related records below a body part in Preview mode, sort of like the opposite of a summary part. This would allow us to show records from multiple tables easily. But that's neither here nor there. :-)

Thanks to you both; I'll keep you apprised.

Peter

• 7. Re: Save as PDF doesn't match Preview
                      philmodjunk

Rick,

You do realize that if you set the portal to slide up, resize enclosing part, you won't have to remember to print only page 1? Wink