11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 1:18 PM by michno

Save as PDF to server fails on Mac

michno

Summary

Save as PDF to server fails on Mac

Description of the issue

Application: FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced (10v3)Server: FileMaker 10 ServerFile server: Windows Server 2003  I have a script that save a multipage (appended) PDF to a server volume.Under Windows this works fine, but on Mac OS X (10.5.8 and previous) I get the "Unable to save, either change the file name, free up space, unlock or save to another volume volume" error message (that's not the exact wording, but I get it in Swedish).In the server folder there will now be 2 tmp files (named something like "Acr5539348.tmp"). The thing is that the newest of these will be the full PDF. You can open it just fine in Preview och Adobe Reader. It's as if FileMaker fails to complete the save operation and leaves the file as a tmp file.If the PDF already exist in the destination folder it is deleted and the 2 tmp files are left instead.  Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?Many thanks in advance! :) 

• 1. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
          TSGal

michno:

Thank you for your post.

This is what I have done....

I launched FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 on my iMac (Mac OS X 10.5.7).  I have a server mounted.  I set up a script step to "Save Records As PDF" and saving it to:

file:/<volume name>/<folder path>/test.pdf

I make sure I have full read/write privileges to that folder and execute the script.  It runs, and the file is saved to the appropriate directory.

Where is your .tmp file stored?  Is it in the same directory path?

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to duplicate the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
            michno

Hi,

the tmp-filer (there are 2) are in the same directory as the file is to be created in.

I think the fact that the file is created by first saving as PDF once (2 pages), and then appending to that (can be anything between 1 and 45 pages) to that in the script have something to do with the issue.

The last tmp-file is the full and final pdf. It is even getting an Adobe Reader icon (OS X), but retains it .tmp extension and then tmp file name.

:)

Michael 

• 3. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
              TSGal

michno:

Create a new database file with one field and one record.  Try saving it as PDF to your local drive.  Does this work?

Mount a server, and try saving the record to PDF again to the root level of the server.  Does this work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
                michno

Hi,

I haven't abandoned this issue, it's just that I can't test the server side part of it accurately until I'm back in the office on Tuesday.

It definitely works locally.

• 5. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
                  RickWhitelaw
                     Whenever this has happened to me the cause is the title, which I script using a variable. The variable I use extracts digits from the date (MM/DD/YYYY) and inserts "_" in place of "/". If the date happens to be entered as M/DD/YYYY or MM/D/YYYY the variable, and hence the title, will include "/" which looks for a non-existent directory and returns the message you quote. Making certain the title contains no reserved characters fixes the problem. 
                  • 6. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
                    michno

Nope, no faulty characters in the file names. (There are dates, but since I use Swedish format these are formatted as 2009-08.)

Also, it works in Windows. 

• 7. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
                      Timster1000

I too have exactly the same problem... running Leopard 10.5.8 and FMP 9.03

Single page .pdfs generated through a filemaker script are generally saved without a hitch, but multiple page pdfs that are generated will usually give the same error that Michno describes. Things have been working fine up until a month ago or so, which is when I probably upgraded to 10.5.8...

If I try to resave again, the file will usually save correctly.

I'd be very keen to find the solution, as I run this script up to 40x a day!

Many thanks.

Tim. 

• 8. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
                        michno

It's good to know I'm not alone in this. ;)

However, I've been having huge problems with my FileMaker Server which have prevented my from further testing. I'll install a new one tomorrow. When that's up and running, I'll be back on the case... 

• 9. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
                          michno

TSGal:

I did the new file -> Save as PDF, and it works both locally and on the server.

Like I said, I think it's the Append step that breaks it. And it works fine on Windows (same database, same script).

• 10. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
                            TSGal

michno:

Thanks for the update.

I created the script as follows:

Save Records As PDF [ Restore ; No dialog ; "TSGal.pdf" ; Current record ]

Show Custom Dialog [ "PDF Saved" ; "PDF file saved. Now append" ]

Save Records as PDF [ Restore ; Append ; No dialog ; "TSGal.pdf" ; Records being browsed (print range 2 to 2) ]

The script works fine with Mac OS X 10.5.8 with FileMaker Pro 10.0v3.

Is it possible for you to send me the file?  If not, a clone of the file?  If so, I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Save as PDF to server fails on Mac
                              michno

Update...

Since upgrading to 10.6 the problem with this script seems to have disappeared. I've had it run through successfully.

Will test again when I'm back in the office.