Crispin

Summary

SAXParseException when creating DDR

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I have a file which generates this error when a HTML DDR is created too. I see this has been reported before.

Screen_shot_2010-07-21_at_22.05.18.png

• 1. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
          TSGal

Crispin:

Thank you for your post.

Although you mentioned the HTML DDR fails, do you know if the XML DDR works?

Is there any special characters in a field name or calculation?  How many fields do you have?  Did you enter any notes in the Comment section of the fields?  How many scripts do you have?  Do you have buttons on your layout that execute scripts?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
            LSI-FileMaker-Developer

For what it's worth, I had been getting a nearly identical message, repeated three times immediately after each other:

SAXParseException: invalid character 0x7 (Occurred in entity '/private/var/folders/Im/Im95piDCHEOW91gr6z8k1U+++TM/-Tmp-/FMTEMPFM4c603711004c.tmp', at line 296, column 47.)

It occurred on only 1 file out of 11 and has been happening ever since updating to FMP 10 (or maybe 11, not sure). I try to make monthly DDRs. The error messages did not appear in an XML DDR report for me.

I *did* find the culprit, thanks to the ideas TSGal asked earlier. It was a text-formatted calculation that equalled [" "]. The three characters in the bracket there were pasted, including the quote marks (so I don't know if anyone can tell if that's a special kind of space character).

The calculated field name was called "Open_Drawer_Char" and this was a printing file from a 3rd party point-of-sale solution that we purchased, so I can only assume it was a special character that helped open cash drawers in a retail setting. I don't think that field is used anywhere, so I'll likely be deleting it to get rid of the pesky SAXParseException errors.

-Matt

• 3. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
              philmodjunk

Perhaps you can first use Filemaker's Code function to identity the character so TSGal can pass on the identify of this invisible character to the software engineers.

• 4. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
                LSI-FileMaker-Developer

Well, that's just darn handy!  I didn't know that Code () function existed… I was trying to copy/paste the character(s) into some web tools but it didn't seem to work, so I gave up.  Then I learn that FileMaker has a built-in function.  Neat!

It looks like the value in my calc field was actually composed of two characters, which returns "3200007" when run through the Code () function.

• 5. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
                  TSGal

HazMatt:

Thanks for the results of the Code function.  The 32 is a space, while the 00007 is an ASCII-7, which usually translates to a Control-G on Windows.  There have been reports of certain control characters affecting the DDR.  In any case, I have forwarded the code to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
                    RichardG_1

Same problem, and I found the cause -- a bad character in an object name. Here's how I found it...

Ran DDR, and when the parse error popup appeared, it referenced a temp file.

*without closing the popups*, I loaded a copy of the temp file into my text editor (NoteTabPro, in my case), and went to the line referrenced in the error msg. It looks like:

There is a special character in the name field -- I typed in the ^B to show where.

Other info told me that it was on layout "Entry" and was a rectangle

Sure enough there is a rectangle object at that layout's position.

I deleted it, ran the DDR -- all OK.

No idea how that rectangle came to have a name at all, let alone a ^B. None of the other 60 rectangles in the file are named.

Here's the pertinent section of the temp file (I typed in the ^B):

• 7. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
                      Crispin

Hi

At long last I got to investigate this in detail to identify the source of the error. I've found a calculation field which looks like "" in FMP11 but shows as " " (ie has a character in the middle) in FMP10. With a DDR in HTML generated by FMP 10 the calculation shows as ? and of course as reported before I never get as far as a HTML DDR in FMP11.

Using the code function reveals the character causing this havoc is code 29

I DO WISH THIS BOARD ALLOWED ME TO ATTACH EXAMPLES! PLEASE PASS THIS REQUEST ON TO WHOEVER RUNS THE SYSTEM!!! or tell me where to post the request

• 8. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
                        TSGal

Crispin:

Thank you for the additional information.

FileMaker Pro uses the ASCII-29 character to separate values in a repeating field, so I'm a bit surprised this issue hasn't popped up more often.  Regardless, I have forwarded the information to Development and Testing for additional review.

Our current system on the forum does not allow file attachments.  If you want to send along an example, please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
                          drjeffhdc

Hi TSGal,

I am having the same problem as above.  FMPA 11.03 OSX 10.6.8.  Would I be able to have my file examined to find it where the problem is?

Thanks,

Jeff

• 10. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
                            drjeffhdc

Hi TSGal,

I am having the same problem.  FMPA 11.03 on OSX 10.6.8.  Can I have my file evaluated to see where the problem is?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jeff

• 11. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
                              TSGal

drjeffhdc:

Thank you for your posts.

I would like to see your file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for directions where to send the file.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: SAXParseException when creating DDR
                                Fred(CH)

To future visitors of this post :

Jim Gurley who encountered a similar issue found a way to target the culprit. More info here :

DDR SAXParseException

Bye, Fred