Summary

Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.9.3

Description of the issue

I have experienced a strange problem few days ago.
      I have Filemaker Advanced Server 13 hosting around 40 databases and 20 schedules on a Mac Server with OS X 10.9.3
      All my 20 schedules have suddenly disappeared following a restart of my server.
      No change in configuration in Filemaker server nor the Mac server was done before this problem.
      I searched in the log viewer of the console and based on the logs, all the settings in the admin console were reset and none of the existing schedules were loaded after the restart of the filemaker server.
      I had to reload all my schedules from a backup.
      Why this happened?
      The whole company operations depend on the databases, we do not want this to happen again how can we ensure that this will not repeat itself in the future. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13
          Markus Schneider

Strange - looks like FMS saves schedules when quitting... If something goes wrong ie with permissions, everything works fine - until restart. Although this makes no sense, I also encountered this issue: Schedules disappear after restarting the server machine.

Check the permissions

** Sorry for typing mistakes - but it's impossible to edit postings on iPad (forum software issue)

• 2. Re: Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13
            TSGal

Christine Wan:

Thank you for your post.

Upon server startup on a Mac, it will wait up to two minutes for any database folders being mounted.  If a database folder is not available in that time, then you may not see the database files and/or schedules.

In the event log, is there any listing for Additional database folder or error 759?  If so, what does it say?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in determining why this occurred.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13
              ChristineWan

Hi TSGal

Thanks for your reply. I could not find error 759 on the day of incident. However I got a bunch of authentication failed warning on that day although the users were successfully connected to the databases.

I downloaded the event log, is there a way I can send the files to you.

Thanks again

• 4. Re: Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13
                TSGal

Christine Wan:

Send all log files from the FileMaker Server Logs folder.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the files.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13
                  TSGal

Christine Wan:

I received your log files.  Thank you.

I see the backup completed on the 14th, and it even shows it was scheduled for the 15th.  However, during the restart of the 15th and 16th, none of the schedules are listed.  Unfortunately, there are no errors in the Event log pertaining to schedules.

Yes, there are authentication warnings on that day, but the warnings appear everyday.

I have sent your files to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13
                    philmodjunk

authentication warnings can be logged for a variety of fairly innocuous reasons:

1) Obviously, a user can mistype an account name or password

2) If File A is set to auto-enter a password, File B, a file opened with different credentials than that specified in file options for File A might attempt to open File A with Open File or an external data source reference. If the Credentials used to Open File B don't match any accounts in File A, an authentication error will be logged, but then the File option kicks in and opens the file anyway.

3) If external authentication such as Active Directory is set up, opening the file with FileMaker credentials might log this error if they are listed after the AD accounts in FileMaker's authentication order. FileMaker attempts to use AD and then "falls through" to the FileMaker ony accounts before successfully opening the file.

• 7. Re: Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13
                      TSGal

Christine Wan:

Testing confirmed the preferences got lost.  The Event log shows that on December 15, client access logging is disabled, when the customer has it enabled.  This leads them to believe the debs_config.xml file became either corrupted or unreadable.    This is located in the Data/Preferences/dbs_config.xml.  It would have been nice to get this file, but unfortunately, it appears this has now been replaced when you reimported the schedules.

Were you doing any schedule or preference changes on December 14?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13
                        TSGal

Christine Wan:

Testing and Development would also like to get your OS X system.log file(s) that cover December 14 (the day before the issue) and December 15.  Although unlikely, it is possible the OS may have detected something.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Schedules disappearing on Filemaker Advanced Server 13
                          ChristineWan

Hi, no schedule or preference changes were made on December 14.

I'll get the OS X system log files posted.