7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 9:25 AM by TSGal

Schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers.

Summary

Schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers.

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro Advanced 10 on Mac OS X 10.5.6FileMaker Server 10 on Windows Server 2003Detailed description of the issue: When 'dual developing' schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers unless the databases is closed and reopened.Exact steps to reproduce the issue:- Running Windows Server 2003 with FileMaker Server 10 and two Mac's running 10.5.6 with FileMaker Advanced 10.- Both Macs are connected to the same database.- On Mac #1, go to Manage Database, add a table occurrence and a relationship. Commit the changes.- On Mac #2, go to Manage Database. The changes will not be shown on the graph.Here is a movie to demonstrate the problem.http://www.campsoftware.com/files/FileMakerSchemaChangeProblem.movExpected Result:The schema changes should be visible on other computers after the changes have been committed. Actual Result:The schema changes are not displayed, unless the database is closed and reopened. Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:N/AAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:N/A Any workarounds that you have found:Only way to fix is to close and reopen the database. Quitting FileMaker is not necessary.

• 1. Re: Schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers.
          philmodjunk

So you have two or more people making simultaneous structural design changes on the same shared file? :smileysurprised:

That sounds to me like you are risking serious file corruption.

To each their own, but I'd never ever take that risk that myself.

• 2. Re: Schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers.

No. Only one person is making structural changes at a time. That's the problem. One person makes a change and commits. The other person goes to make a change and the change is not reflected in the graph.

This was not a problem in FileMaker 9. In fact, if we use one FileMaker 9 Advanced and one FileMaker 10 Advanced only the FileMaker 10 Advanced user has the problem.

Hal 

• 3. Re: Schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers.
              PaulTurnbull

We have three developers working on a multi-file solution hosted on FMS10 on OS X Server 10.5.6. We have replicated this problem.

I was working in one of the files adding TO's to the graph. I closed the graph window, walked over to my coworker's office and had him open the graph in the file I made the changes to. The changes were not there. He then quit out of FileMaker and then opened the solution again. Now the changes were visible.

It would appear to be a updating/caching problem. Clients aren't being notified of graph changes. 

-

Paul Turnbull

FileMaker 8/9 Certified Developer

United Nurses of Alberta

Edmonton, Alberta  

• 4. Re: Schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers.
                CamelCase

This bug does pose serious problems to any multi-developer context, even if I agree that simultaneous modification of a file by multiple developers is risky. But as noted, this is a problem if you're even simply asking a colleague to have a look at the graph...

Do you see this for the graph only, or also for field creation, layouts etc? What happens when you add a layout/layout object using the new TO? What if you delete a TO? 

Please not that I can't reproduce this myself:

Database hosted on FMSA 10.0.1.64 running on a Mac OS X 10.5.6; relationship graph modified using FMP10 10.0v1 (12-02-2008) running on the same machine; changes are instantly visible on FMPA10 10.0v1 (12-02-2008), running on Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

(maybe this can help identify the cause of the bug)

• 5. Re: Schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers.
                  PaulTurnbull

David, the big difference I can see is that the client that sees the changes is on Windows. Can you try making a change with the Windows client and seeing if it's visible with the Mac client. Perhaps the bug is that the Mac client is failing to be notified of the changes.

-

Paul Turnbull

FileMaker 8/9 Certified Developer

United Nurses of Alberta

Edmonton, Alberta  

• 6. Re: Schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers.
                    CamelCase

I tried updating either on the Mac or on Windows, and I can see the updates immediately in both directions.

I also tried using either the same or different accounts; that doesn't matter.

Another difference from other people is that I'm not hosting the database on a third machine. Not sure if that makes a difference.

You're also using Mac OS X Server, while I'm on a normal OS machine.

I'll try to test this between two Macs when I get the opportunity.

• 7. Re: Schema changes in the graph are not updating on other computers.
                      TSGal

All:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologize for the late reply.

A similar issue was reported a year ago, but we could not duplicate the issue here.  I have attached this entire thread along with the movie link (thank you very much) to the original case so our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments can research this further.  If any additional information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.