1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2010 6:29 AM by mrvodka

Screen Flicker driving me mad

oakhamschool

Summary

Screen Flicker driving me mad

Description of the issue

Hello It would be really nice if you could reduce teh screen flicker in FM Pro products. When I drag a screen, the screen flickers like crazy, when some processing/trigger takes place screen flicker, really makes difficult to sell products that look professional. Heck I've even got a headache watching my screens flicker. Jalz

• 1. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
          TSGal

Jalz:

Thank you for your post.

There have been a number of reports of the screen flickering on Windows.  Some users have downloaded the latest video driver from the manufacturer and have found some relief, while others haven't.  Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue, and no other information is available at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
            Vincent_L

This isssue is there for YEARS. FM Inc always blamed drivers, it won't be fixed anytime soon.

• 3. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
              TSGal

Glitchtracker:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, the problem has been there since FileMaker Pro 7.  Yes, we know it is an issue.  In some cases, the latest video drivers have helped.

> "FM Inc always blamed drivers"

If you spoke to someone who blamed this problem on the video driver, please let me know so I can get them the correct information.  You can contact me publicly or privately with the information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                southpaw

Hi TSGal,

I have been spending some time going through the past threads and found out this thread which is exactly the one I posted as bug about a month ago to which nobody had posted comments/solutions. Judging from this thread, FMinc has known the problem but have not addressed it. I would really like the problem addressed and resolved. Would version 10 be clear of the problem? If so, I am upgrading from 9 Advanced just so that I did not have to deal with the screen flickers.

Saouthpaw68

• 5. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                  TSGal

southpaw:

No, the problem was not fixed in FileMaker Pro 10.  There is still screen flicker.  Again, some updated screen drivers have helped this problem, but whatever you see in FileMaker Pro 9 is mostlikely what you will see in FileMaker Pro 10.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                    oakhamschool

I can't understand why this issue hasn't been fixed, 4 major revisions later! I've been testing an Access database as well as a SQL database with a .net front end on multiple machines, ranging from 5 years old to my machine which is 3 months old. Different hardware/drivers and guess what no screen flicker, pretty stable and most screens look pretty good.

Can we expect a fix? or is one of our clients going to end up sueing us coz they fainted whilst screen was flickering whilst a script was looping through records. I'm being dead serious, this isn't just a whinge.[Yes I know you can Freeze Screen, but it really doesn't work as other apps]  I mean how hard can it be to stabalise a couple of rectangles - fm doesn't even use native buttons so dont even get me started with that (i've just come to live with it, but screen flicker is a definate issue) 

Another gripe is the fact on Windows, when you open a new window, the previous window comes out of maximize mode. Thats ridiculous - makes it very difficult for an app to have a nice interface with a good user experience! I can create basic screens a user clicks on a button and goes to another screen but I want to create dialog screens using a screen layouts which sit on top of the page when called and it makes it very difficult to do this nicely when the previous screen loses the size the user set it at!!

Any responses TSGal from your quality testing on whether the issue will get any attention or do they not consider it a problem?

• 7. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                      TSGal

Jalz:

Yes, screen flickering on Windows is viewed as a serious issue and confirmed by our Testing department.  I do not have access to the developers, so I don't have an understanding of what system calls are being made and/or what technology is being used.

I was able to reproduce the maximize mode problem.  That is, when a window is maximized and a new window is invoked, the previous window is taken out of Maximize mode.  I have reported this to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.

One Workaround I have found is to create a script that takes the Window out of Maximize (Move/Resize Window), sets it to ScreenHeight and ScreenWidth, and then invoke the New Window and Adjust Window script steps.  If you want to return to the original size, you would have had to store the current WindowHeight and WindowWidth values prior to the script being called, and then restore the values from another script.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                        Steve Wright

IF (and thats a big IF) filemaker finally fix this screen flicker issue related to Windows, will they release patches for previous versions of filemaker such as 9 and 10

For such a serious bug, I would hope so.. since I have no reason to upgrade any of our clients from their current version and doing so could cost somwhere in the 5 figure number range if not more.. just to fix a bug which has been present for years !

Or are they just never going to fix it  ? 

Its the ONLY application I have ever seen in my years of being a windows user to behave in this way,
                        Perhaps they should give microsoft support a call and ask for some help.

If its viewed as a serious issue, I dont understand why has it taken so many years and still remained un-resolved
                        Surely serious puts it as higher priority than adding a bunch of new templates and a new welcome screen.

• 9. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                          oakhamschool

I seriously doubt FM would support older versions of their software (I think only 8.5 was the only exception if I am correct). I've created and sold a POS application, which uses barcode scanner, touch screen etc etc. The system works quite nicely, but the screen flicker everytime something is scanned in (I have script triggers implemented) - the application looks cheap and the shop owners are complaining its straining their eyes and giving them headaches as they're constanting using it.

Can't believe the problem has been present since fm7 and not been addressed, this is serious, dont really buy into the graphics card argument i'm afraid. All the other apps, whether they are database's, spereadsheets, word processors, browsers, games etc... etc... on Windows platforms do not flicker as much as FileMaker does.

Please address this in your future product release or even in the current version - sell us the tools which are bug free,solid so we can make applications which can harness the power and be confident that we have a solid framework to build on.Oh hopefully you can address the printing issues with FM as well at the same time!

• 10. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                            TSGal

Jalz:

You said...

>  Oh hopefully you can address the printing issues with FM as well at the same time!

Can you be a little more specific?  What printing issues are you having with FileMaker Pro?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                              oakhamschool

Sorry had my head down trying to meet deadlines, but here goes my biggest gripe with printing at the moment is FileMaker handles layouts/margins differently on each printer. For instance when we create a layout, to print on Avery L7160 labels on one printer, lets say the HP1200, if I move over to another printer, I have to recreate ANOTHER layout which takes account the printer margins/sizes etc. We've got loads of layouts for different printers printing the same types of labels. MS Word, we create one layout, I can send it to anyone on our network and they can print out labels without any problems. 

Another problem we have, is one of our larger printers always churns out the following message when we send a document - again its only FileMaker as an app that does this all the other software we have works fine (I've also seen another person report this problem):

PCL XL error                Subsystem: KERNEL                Error: ColorSpaceMismatchOperator: VendorUnique                Position: 9

Another one of our departments selects and tries to print to A4 size page, however even when they select this in FileMaker, it always defaults to letter which stops the printer from printing out as you get the wrong papersize message. Those some that are just off the top of my head.

• 12. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                                philmodjunk

With margin issues, Each printer can have a different maximum printable area. Most can't print right to the edge of the paper and how close they can print varies for top, bottom and sides and for each model printer. Filemaker attempts to use all available space when printing so the left edge of your layout will correspond with the left edge of the current printer's maximum print area. In MS word, you almost always specify left and right margins of at least 0.5 inches. Since this is well inside the max print area for all modern printers, you don't see any change the way you do with Filemaker Reports.

The fix here, is to specify at least a small left margin for your layout in layout setup... | Printing. A margin of 0.25 inches or more does the trick.

The other issue you'll see is when your layout needs to fill down close to the bottom edge of the page such as the bottom row of labels in a label layout. There is more variation from printer to printer in how close it can print to the trailing (bottom) edge of the page than any other. Thus, a layout that works for one printer may not for another because your last line of data crosses this invisible limit--triggering a page break before you need it. Sometimes as little as a one pixel change in the height of a layout part will make this work for a given printer. All of this is irritating to say the least, but more a issue of how different printers print than in how Filemaker works.

• 13. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                                  philmodjunk

"Another one of our departments selects and tries to print to A4 size page, however even when they select this in FileMaker, it always defaults to letter which stops the printer from printing out as you get the wrong papersize message."

I agree that it's definitely a bug. We print to a custom page size here and have found that the script steps Print[restore] and Page Setup[restore] do not retain a custom page size setting. We've found a work around that's a bit irritating but at least it works.

In our scripts, we don't use Print[restore] or Page Setup[restore] to save printer settings. Instead our operators manually select all printer settings from Print Setup in the File menu when they first open the DB. That's not terrible for my users, as they only print to one specific printer in one specific way all day long. In your case, I'd experiment with manually selecting the custom page size and different script options to see if maybe they can get this to work by only specifying the page size once when they first log on.

The other option is to use a script to preview the report and then pause without printing it. The users would then select Print from the File menu where they can select printer, page size and other options for themselves. Since users print from the file menu with most of their other applications, this is usually fairly unintimidating for them to do it this way, though you may have to educate them about the difference between "current record" and "records being browsed".

• 14. Re: Screen Flicker driving me mad
                                    oakhamschool

Thanks for the tip(set margin) PhilModJunk, we've got hundereds of printers with different model numbers and when you generate layout for labels, FM (the worlds easiest to use db) should prepare a layout with fixed margins for you if you use their wizard to choose a standard label type and I've definitely seen a missing row of labels on some of our layouts :(.

We've also got a Zebra card printer (directly prints on plastic cards for identity cards for our students). FileMaker always 'forgets' the printers preferences and always goes to a default setup no matter how many times we've stored the printer settings in our script. AAaaahhhh!

Its things like this when you wonder why FM can't use standard printer apis in the various OS's.

1 2 3 Previous Next