12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2010 2:01 PM by Steve Wright

Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine

WF7A

Summary

Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine

Description of the issue

The specs: Win Vista Home Premium, SP2 6GB RAM AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Processor 2.5 GHz NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT graphics card FMP 11 Advanced Really annoying flicker problem that occurs every minute or so. I've tried various FMP (and runtimes) on different machines and this one and they all flicker on this particular machine...which never had a flicker problem before in FMPA 10.x. No changes have been made to the system.

• 1. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
          5104919325FTN

Do you use WinAmp at it?

Never start WinAmp before starting FileMaker, but after ...

The screen will flicker the way the songs titel will move on WinAmp ...

It makes one crazy, when you move a TO on the graph ...

• 2. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
            Steve Wright

Ive got to say, I never thought I would see a post like this about FM11  (and im not being sarcastic in light of my other recent posts)

Under Vista & W7 64 I have yet to see a single "full screen" flicker / re-draw due to FM, unless of course a Refresh Window [flush cached join results] is used and believe me... I have tried a lot  whilst testing this recently

Machine specs include :

3ghz Quad, 8 gig ram, Nvidia GTX280 (Win7 x64 & vista x64)

P4 3.0ghz, 4 gig ram, Nvidia 8800gtx  (XP x32)

Celeron 2.8 Ghz, 4 gig ram, onboard intel card ( w7 x32)

Celeron 2.8 Ghz, 4 gig ram, onboard intel card ( Vista x32)

Portal scrolling aside :-(   I have found FM11 to be flawless in terms of the full interface flickering as observed since FM7 / 8>?

My only assumption would be either something else is going on in the background 'hogging' your resources, such as an antivirus full system scan (even still 11, seemed to be fine here)  or possibly ( a shot in the dark) a graphics card driver issue ???

• 3. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
              5104919325FTN

Hi SWS,

hehe, but did you ever tried the WinAmp (songticker scrolling) issue with XP and FM10, TO-graph, moving 3 TOs at the same time ?

• 4. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
                Steve Wright

No, but Im about to :-)  

I like knowing the cause of problems and solutions / workarounds since they are likely to crop up with my clients at some point.

• 5. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
                  mrvodka

Try messing around with the NVIDIA card settings. Turn down the acceleration.

NVIDIA cards seems to cause issues many times.

• 6. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
                    JFFortier

I had the same problem in the past with Microsoft Intellipoint mouse driver... the lattest version at that time version was.... 8  I don't recall, I switch back to 6.2 and it stop.

I also notice some time Winamp did that also and Quicken.

• 7. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
                      5104919325FTN

JFFortier wrote:

I had the same problem in the past with Microsoft Intellipoint mouse driver... the lattest version at that time version was.... 8  I don't recall, I switch back to 6.2 and it stop.

I also notice some time Winamp did that also and Quicken.

So, you confirm for Winamp. too.

But more precisely:

Never start Winampp *before* you start FileMaker.

It will make your work with layout or TO-graph impossible.

The flickering is then in phase with the horizontal songtitel scrolling -- but stopping the songtitel scrolling is an issue.

Regardless of the grafic card.

And it's stronger, if I have two monitors (?!)

But it was in the past worth ... I admit ... Now it's quite normal.

• 8. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
                        5104919325FTN

mr_vodka wrote:

Try messing around with the NVIDIA card settings. Turn down the acceleration.

NVIDIA cards seems to cause issues many times.

Hi mr_vodka,

but where?

A user, who has a Windows 7 notebook with a NVidia graphic card, asked me for it.

Unfortunately, I have only two unappropriate Windows 7 running systems. One with an Intel, the other with an ATI graphic card.

I tried to help him, but I couldn't, because he didn't find the "right" acceleration setting between all 100 possible parameters, he could look at and I didn't see nothing.

Well, Windows XP was easier.

1) Do you know where the right setting is with Windows 7?

2) If mr-vodka can help, could FileMaker put his answer in his Knowledge Base and further in the different User Manuals*, because it s****  is a  p*** i*real problem?

And sent him his own weight in chocolate for this help :-)

* special chapter: Windows settings ...

• 9. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
                          taosolutions

Hi Mr. Vodka,

my name is Roland. I also use NVIDIA graphics on my new notebook with win 7 64bit and the flicker drives me to hell.

Do you remember the settings which you have made to get rid of the flicker?

Kind regards,

Roland

• 10. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
                            5104919325FTN

Hi,

any good news on this major problem?

• 11. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
                              WF7A

Well, the flickering problem disappeared after I upgraded to Win 7 (all the other specs the same as mentioned in my original post), but now a new problem: FMPA 11 crashes every so often when I'm in Layout mode and click the slider on the right to scroll down the page; this has happened to a few FMPA files now, the last one was so corrupted it couldn't be recovered.

• 12. Re: Screen flicker in FMPA on 64-bit PC machine
                                Steve Wright

After purchasing a new mouse yesterday I came across a screen flicker issue in FM11 which Im 99.9% sure is caused by Logitech SetPoint V4.80H

It appears to be caused by their clone of Expose which captures the window contents at various intervals ready to show if you activate the feature. It does not work in realtime, since the screen shots are always about 5 seconds out of date.

Edit : SetPoint 6.1 does not seem to have the issue, so if you use a logitech mouse, its worth checking this too.