Screen Refresh Errors

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMP 13

Operating system version

Windows Pro 7 and Windows 8

Description of the issue

We've had significant refresh screen errors using FMP 13 since installation on 3 new and different computers - Dell OptiPlex (Win Pro 7), Surface Pro 3 (Win 8) and HP ProBook (Win Pro 7). The screen refresh errors result in extra stray lines, cut off and compressed lines of text and difficulty typing--cursor jumps ahead of text.
      After extensive and methodical malware /anti-virus scans were performed and no threats identified, FMP 13 was uninstalled and reinstalled, as well as all other applications, printer drivers, etc.  Nothing resolved the screen refresh errors. The hard drive of the Dell OptiPlex was then wiped and the OS reformatted. This fixed the issue.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Similarly, the Surface Pro and HP Probook we managed--wiped the hard drives and reformatted the OS

Expected result

Wiping the hard drives and reformatting the OS we hoped would resolve the screen refresh errors, after re-installation of FMP 13

Actual result

The screen refresh errors persist. Comparing the 2, they are worse on the HP ProBook.  The screen resolution of the ProBook is 1920 x 1080 (higher resolution screen, yet is the same as the Optiplex monitor).

Configuration information

When FMP is installed on a laptop of lower screen resolution, such as the standard 1366 x 768, there are no screen refresh errors.

Workaround

On the Surface Pro 3, if move the page (with the errors in text) up or down and out of the field of view then back again, they will refresh and correct the errors.

• 1. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
          TSGal

Joseph McNabb:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, FileMaker Pro 13 will have some screen display issues if the display settings are larger than 100%.  To correct this in Windows 7, go to Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Display    and set it to 100%.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
            JosephMcNabb
            Thank you for your comment. Yes, the display settings are at 100%.  The screen refresh errors persist on the Surface Pro 3 tablet and HP ProBook--both higher resolution screens. Suggestions on modifying the settings on these to improve refresh rate? The issue was solved on the Dell Optiplex desktop computers by reformatting the HD. This strategy failed on the tablets  / laptop. 

-McNabb
            • 3. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
              TSGal

Joseph McNabb:

Reformatting the hard drive is such an extreme measure.

Do you have a graphic accelerator installed?  If so, set it to normal speed.

Can you post a screen shot from the HP Probook that displays the issue under the higher screen resolution?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
                JosephMcNabb

TSGal,

Thank you for your prior suggestion regarding the screen display.  I was mistaken, and  yes the HP ProBook's display was at 125% as default, and once I adjusted it to 100%, the screen refresh issues resolved!  However, the Surface Pro 3's screen refresh errors persist even when I adjusted the display to "smaller" from the default size (it's not given as a %). Is there another way to adjust display?  I've attached a screen shot demonstrating the errors--in some lines of text the letters are 1/2 missing, and in other lines the text is distorted and enlarged, with extra stray lines.  

thank you,

McNabb

• 5. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
                  TSGal

Joseph McNabb:

Thank you for the screen shot.

I don't have a Surface Pro available to me, so I am unable to test this.  Therefore, let me try to help narrow down some possibilities why this is occurring.

In the screen shot, I see you are using a custom menu.  If you use a Standard menu, does the issue still occur?

What is the height of the text field?

In your original post, you said "On the Surface Pro 3, if move the page (with the errors in text) up or down and out of the field of view then back again, they will refresh and correct the errors."  Does the text display normally when the record is initially presented?  That is, do the screen issues occur only when you begin scrolling in the field?  

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
                    JosephMcNabb

TSGal,

Thank you for working with me to sort this out. Yes, it's a custom menu (Vision Records). The menu designer uses a SurfacePro 3 to run the software without issue, so this is a mystery.  The SurfacePro 3 's processor is an Intel core i5-4300 cpu @ 190 GHz 2.50 HGz with Windows 8.1 Pro.   No apparent errors are seen when a standard menu is used.   I'm not sure what you mean by 'height of the text field', but the text display initially appears normal, and only when scrolling in the field do the errors present.   If I scroll past errors (moving the abnormal lines of text above or below the field, then return, they refresh and correct.

I have no graphic accelerator installed.  Its a brand new Surface Pro3 with minimal use thus far. As I said earlier, wiping the hard drive did not resolve the issue. I appreciate your time.

McNabb

• 7. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
                      TSGal

Joseph McNabb:

Thank you for the additional information.

Since I do not have access to a Surface Pro, I have forwarded your information and screen shot to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

The height of the field can be found via the Inspector.  Regardless, it sounds like the field is set for one line of height, and when you tap into the field, it expands to the size of the layout.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
                        TSGal

Joseph McNabb:

One of our Testers with a Surface Pro 3 did have some suggestions for the resolution settings.

1. Right-click on the Desktop (or go to the display settings from the Control Panel) and select "Screen Resolution".  If you have the stylus for the Surface 3, use the second button as the right click.

2. Click on "Make text and other items larger or smaller".

3. Check the box labeled "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays"

4. Select "Smaller - 100%".

Let me know if this information helps.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
                          JosephMcNabb

Thank you TSGal.  

Adjusting the display to 100% did in fact resolve the screen refresh errors.  The text is extremely small and difficult to read at 100% display on the SurfacePro 3. Once in the custom menu, I can increase the enlarge the font size without having refresh errors.  

Is there a foreseeable fix of this bug in the near future with FMP 13?

thank you,

McNabb

• 10. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
                            TSGal

Joseph McNabb:

Glad to hear the recommendations from the Tester helped.

FileMaker, Inc. neither discusses nor speculates about future releases.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Screen Refresh Errors
                              TSGal

JosephMcNabb:

The scrolling issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.