Summary

Script tabs tooltips and order of tabs

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

1) A maximum of five tabs (i.e. five scripts) can be displayed at once.  Doing so makes each tab too short to read the entire script name. Tooltips are missing on script tabs; rolling over the tab should display the full script name.

2) If more than five tabs are opened, an arrow is displayed to show a list of the additional script names.  Tabs are displayed in the order opened, while the list is shown in alphabetical order.  If the tabs are shown in order opened, the list should also be shown in the same order.

3) Like nearly ALL other applications that use a tab interface, tabs should be re-orderable by grabbing the tab and sliding to desired position.

• 1. Re: Script tabs tooltips and order of tabs
          hschlossberg

Sorry for not adding a new thread for every little thing, but here are three more related to the Scripting Workspace to add to the list:

4) The step I'm currently working on in a script is highlighted in blue.  If I switch to another script tab and then back to the original, I've completed lost track of where I was in the script.  The highlight is now gone.

5) When I am looking at a script tab, that script's name should be highlighted in the list on the left (assuming it is not filtered out of the list).  I know I can right-click the tab and then select the option to highlight it in the list...but why?!?  It is two extra clicks and reading through the context menu to find it, and it is something I often need because chances are there's a related script I also need to edit right under it or on top of it in the list!

6) DEFINITE BUG: I've been editing a script in one tab.  I right-click another script in the list and select to open it in a new window.  I then close that new window.  Back in my main Scripting Workspace window, the script has DISAPPEARED from the center editing area, even though it is listed on the left with a STAR because it has been modified but not saved.  Single-clicking it won't make it come back, but double-clicking it will.

• 2. Re: Script tabs tooltips and order of tabs
            TSGal

howards:

Thank you for your post.

1. The number of tabs that can be displayed at once is determined by the width of the Script Workspace.  The wider the Script Workspace, the more tabs you can display.  If you hide the Steps pane, more tabs are then available.  Regardless, hovering over the tab on a Mac displays the full script name, but it does not on Windows.  I have forwarded this inconsistency to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

2. Most lists in FileMaker Pro are displayed in alphabetical order.  I recommend adding this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are read by Product Management and Development, and then the suggestion is discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

3. The suggestion to drag tabs into a desired order would also be feature request.  See #2 above.

4. I can easily reproduce the issue (Mac and Windows).  I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

5. The suggestion to have the active tab also highlight the corresponding script name in the Scripts pane should also be entered as a Feature Request in step #2.

6. I have been unable to replicate this issue.  I am editing Script "A" in one tab.  I right-click Script "B" in the Scripts pane, open in a new Window (successful), close the window, and I'm still in Script "A".  I've tried this with Script "B" already open in a tab, and not opened.  What am I doing differently than you?

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Script tabs tooltips and order of tabs
              hschlossberg

I'll added feature requests for items 2, 3 and 5 ...as soon as that system is available again.

On #6, try it with just ONE script open in the workspace.  If there are any additional script tabs, then the problem does not occur.

Howard

• 4. Re: Script tabs tooltips and order of tabs
                TSGal

howards:

That's the key!  Thank you.  If no other scripts are open in the tab, then I do get the blank screen under Windows.  (Under Mac, the original script is replaced by the closed window script.)

I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

Note: Add three separate feature requests for #2, #3 and #5.  Putting all three suggestions into one entry may possibly result in two suggestions being overlooked/lost.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Script tabs tooltips and order of tabs
                  TSGal

howards:

Our Development and Testing teams are already aware of the one script disappearing from the Script Workspace when another script is open in a new window.  Your post has been attached to that original report.  I will continue to keep you updated as information becomes available.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Script tabs tooltips and order of tabs
                    TSGal

hschlossberg:

The issue with the  script step losing selection after switching between tabs, and the issue with right-clicking another script to open in a new window with the original script closing have been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.