script steps to restore print settings fail

print settings are the last settings used

Configuration information

using a Canon MX Pixma

• 1. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
          TSGal

myongsun:

Thank you for your post.

First, revisit the Print Setup script step to ensure you have the correct printer selected, and revisit the Print script step to verify the correct printer is selected.  If this still fails, then create a new script solely for the Print Setup and Print steps, and call this script at any time to see if it prints correctly.  If the printing script works properly, then replace the Print Setup and Print script steps in the original script with a Perform Script script step that references the print script.

Keep me posted with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
            myongsun

Tried that already, but I gave it another go.  This time, it does have the correct printer, but the incorrect presets.

Is there a separate command to set presets?

• 3. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
              TSGal

myongsun:

I select a Preset, save it in the script, and when I print, the preset is used.  That is, I set up a preset named "TEST" with Records Being Browsed, All pages, Collated unchecked.  I replaced the Print command with the new setting.  I then ran the script, and it printed as expected.  I then created a preset named "TEST2" with 2 copies, collated.  I created a new script with this Print Setup and Print steps.  I run the second script, and it printed with the appropriate preset, and then ran the first script again, and it printed with the other preset.

I ran this with FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Let me know how you set your presets, and I'll try to do the same here.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
                myongsun

No dice: it wahts to stick with the most resets settings.

Pays no attention to the stored settings in the script.

I have one preset for resumes using the bottom cassette and one for envelopes using the rear tray.

• 5. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
                  RickWhitelaw

Please forgive me if I'm out to lunch here, but I've encountered this before. Let's be absolutely certain we're dealing with BOTH the Print Setup script step AND the Print script step. They are two different steps.

Once again, I apologize if I'm completely "off" here.

RW

• 6. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
                    myongsun

yup

two disctinct steps

I think the problems started when I introduced a DYMO label printer into the mix.  Some jobs are sent there and others to a Canon Pixma printer.  Rather than choosing the correct printer as scripted, FMP simply goes with the last printer used.

• 7. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
                      TSGal

myongsun:

It could be a corrupt script.  Try creating two different scripts; one for the DYMO label printer, and the other for the Canon Pixma printer.  Find a group of records and run the DYMO label script, and then run the Canon Pixma script.  If this works, then replace the script steps in your original script to call these printer scripts.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
                        myongsun

ok

already did that, but I'll try again

• 9. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
                          MeghanGohil

I'm having the exact same issue and have tried the same steps (working with both the print setup and print dialog mode).  

My printer is ADOBE PDF (using Acrobat). 

The specific parts that get reset are:

1)  Prompt for FileName (I want it to go to My Documents); sometimes it does this, sometimes it doesn't.

2)  View Adobe PDF results - I want this to be closed; but sometimes it doesn't do this.

• 10. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
                            TSGal

Meghan Gohil:

Thank you for your post.

Create a separate script for just the Print Setup and Print script steps.  Then, run the script by itself to make sure it works properly.  Then, in the original script, replace the Print Setup and Print script steps with a Perform Script, and use reference the new print script.

Keep me posted with any progress.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: scripts do not restore print settings
                              MeghanGohil

Okay - thanks!  I tried this, and it's a workaround.  I still would rather it be so that it doesn't change (i.e. that I could specify preferences), but at least this gets me through the projects.