3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 11:58 AM by scottworld

Scripts open in their own window lack visual indications of certain properties

scottworld

Summary

Scripts open in their own window lack visual indications of certain properties

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X 10.10.3

Description of the issue

When opening scripts in their own window, we lose visual indications of certain properties. For example:
      1. Is the script shown in the scripts menu?
      2. Is this script running with full access privileges?
      Please see attached screenshot. We need these properties visibly shown to us.

Screen_Shot_2015-06-09_at_6_04_38_PM.png

• 1. Re: Scripts open in their own window lack visual indications of certain properties
          TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

This is related to your similar posting at:

FM 14: Scripts in their own window have no indication whether they are full-access

In essence, with the Scripts pane hidden, you must use the Scripts menu to display the full access privileges and whether included in the scripts menu.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Scripts open in their own window lack visual indications of certain properties
            hschlossberg

This is theoretically not a problem much of the time because your list of scripts in somewhat more likely than not showing on the right side of the screen during most script creation and development.  It wouldn't have taken much room to include then on the script pane itself, but designers decided to go for a minimalistic look rather than a practical layout.  

[Same can be said for the "disable/enable script step" button: yes, it is now available via keyboard shortcut...but there is really so much extra space on the screen for a button, it behooves me on why they removed the button for those times when your hands are already on the mouse and not on the keyboard (for the times when you really need to enable/disable, you are not in the midst of typing a script; you are clicking to different parts of the script to debug).]

Anyhow, I say theoretically not a problem on the left side because the engineers were ultimately unable to make the left side highlight the script you are currently working on and you therefore have to search for that script on the left before you can view the settings for the script you are already working on.

• 3. Re: Scripts open in their own window lack visual indications of certain properties
              scottworld

Thanks, Howard. I totally concur with you. There are only 3 explanations for this:

1. Complete insanity at FMI.

2. Complete lack of caring at FMI.

3. Nobody at FMI is a professional developer with real-word development experience. 

FileMaker 14 is the worst version of this product ever created. I have now deleted it from my hard drive, and am exclusively developing in FileMaker 13. I have also told all of my clients to NOT upgrade to FileMaker 14. Doing my part to help people.