7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 12:36 PM by norwood

Scrolling and refreshing magnified window issue.

ErichWetzel

Summary

Scrolling and refreshing magnified window issue.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Pro 11v4 and Server Advanced 11v4

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7.4

Description of the issue

With the OS update from 10.7.3 to 10.7.4 the vertical scrolling and refreshing problem with magnified windows has made FileMaker Pro extremely frustrating to use.

The problem has expanded to leave sections of the viewed layout seemingly out of focus as well.

This previously intermittent problem is now a constant aggravation.

This problem makes FileMaker Pro unacceptable for general use.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Go to a layout magnified to 150%.  Our windows are 150% others may cause the same problem.

Scroll the window with a magic mouse, scroll ball on a typical mouse, or by dragging the scroll bar at the window margin.

This problem does not seem to occur if the user manually clicks the scroll bar up and down in the window margin.

Expected result

Window scrolls clearly to the desired place.

Actual result

Window scrolls but shows repeating staggered images of parts of the layout.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No errors.

Configuration information

Files hosted by Mac OS X Server 10.7.4 and Server Advanced 11v4

Workaround

This problem does not seem to occur if the user manually clicks the scroll bar up and down in the window margin rather than grabbing the scroll bar and dragging it or using the mouse scroll controls.

In some instances you must go to a different layout to get the screen to refresh properly.

Screen_Shot_2012-05-14_at_2.04.07_PM.png

• 1. Re: Scrolling and refreshing magnified window issue.
          TSGal

ErichWetzel:

Thank you for your post.

I have been unable to replicate the issue, as I have just updated to Mac OS X 10.7.4.  It would probably be best if you send in a copy of your database file so that we can work with it here to determine why the scrolling is failing more often.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Scrolling and refreshing magnified window issue.
            TSGal

For all reading this thread:

After going back and forth privately with ErichWetzel, this graphic problem is a known issue with scrolling at 150% or 75% zoom.  For a complete description, see the related post and sub-links at:

Refresh Error with Vertical Scrollbar

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Scrolling and refreshing magnified window issue.
              BarneyO'Donnell

We just upgraded to 11.0v4.

I use this feature extensively.  I can get back to the original by either closing the file or start the print and cancel.

This is a real pain in the neck.  When can we expect a fix?

• 4. Re: Scrolling and refreshing magnified window issue.
                ErichWetzel

Barney,

TSGal has been very helpful in trying to figure out what is going on.  

In the referenced discussion you can see that this problem was happening as long ago as July of 2010 and has not been addressed yet in 11.  TSGal indicated that this issue has been resolved with FileMaker 12.  Read between the lines to reach whatever conclusion you wish.  FileMaker knows about this issue so I am not sure we can do much else.

I have been using FileMaker for for almost as long as the application has existed and have never run into a bug that makes the application almost unusable.  If indeed there is not to be resolution without upgrading it would be very dissapointing considering the impact use of this feature has especially when upgrading to OS 10.7.4.  In my experience since upgrading, on FMP 11v4 and OS 10.7.4 about 50% of scrolling attempts result in the distorted window contents.

Here is a feature that you have used and has worked as expected for years.  Starting now, if you use the feature, it makes the program almost impossible to tolerate.  Upgrade to get the fix.  Sounds like software development methods used by companies many of us make fun of.

Our users are screaming for resolution of this annoying issue.  Everyone is frustrated.  We depend on this software everyday.  It was a seamless part of our business operation.  Now it is frustrating each time we use it and this bug occurs; which is dozens of times per user, per hour considering our use.  Our monitors are too small to accomodate a 200% zoom and too large to use 100% without strong glasses.  Upgrading hardware is not an option and our systems meet the minimum requirements for the software.  My solution will be to move to 12 since we are on a maintenance plan and I have it.  However, I am concerned with the data format shift and its impact on our databases.  Our FileMaker databases have been in constant development over 20 years and being pushed to move to the new data format faster than usual without sufficient testing is very frustrating.  Our data, like anyone's, is invaluable to our business, rushing a change like this is very risky.  

This is part of business in general, but I have never experienced this type of issue with FileMaker.

Good luck.

-Erich

• 5. Re: Scrolling and refreshing magnified window issue.
                  BarneyO'Donnell

Hi Erich,

Like you, I have been using FM since about the mid to late 80's.  

When I hired my 1st employee it took me about 20 minutes to write a payroll program.

We just upgraded to 11.0v4.  The only noticable diffierence was the Find is a little slow at times.

(whoever put those ''Q's''  in the find command must have been hired from Microsoft).

I can live with that but this is the 1st serious problem I've encountered.

I would like to see a fix before we migrate to 12.

I've recommended FM to a lot of people over the years.  I'll hold back until this is resolved.

It looks like we purchased a defective product.  It is a bit irritating since the bug has been known for

some time and we paid for the upgrade.

Barney

• 6. Re: Scrolling and refreshing magnified window issue.
                    philmodjunk

I've recommended FM to a lot of people over the years.  I'll hold back until this is resolved.

Good luck with that. From past history, it is extremely rare for FileMaker to release a bug fix for any version but the currently released version.

• 7. Re: Scrolling and refreshing magnified window issue.
                      norwood

We also have been experiencing the same scrolling issue ad nauseum, and it's gotten worse since 10.7.4, making our essential booking, inventory, ticket and calendaring database (that has been developed and evolving for 15 years) virtually unusable on many of our workstations (running 10.7.x, doesn't happen on 10.6 for us), plus there's no option for a workaround. So I also wish to express my frustration with this issue and I'm putting in a last-ditch hope to have a fix implemented for version 11, since upgrading to v12 is so new, has a new file system and is simply not an option budget-wise. This scrolling issue existed for us before the v12 release and should be addressed immediately as it makes using FileMaker 11 completely untenable.

I could rant at length and say I'll never buy FileMaker products again, but the truth of the matter is that we have years of resources devoted to the FileMaker platform. For the past year we've spent considerable time exploring alternative database options--including building a time-consuming, open-source web-based PHP/MySQL option in-house--despite our limited higher education budget, simply because our managers perceive a lack of response to issues by FileMaker, Inc. (with which I agree). We really should be spending our time looking at how to migrate to the new v12 file system instead, but with all the FileMaker frustrations (particularly the embarrassing server admin Java issue that took months to resolve and now this), it is all but been decided we will end our devotion of resources to the platform as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

I have been a FileMaker advocate for years in our institution, and I can sincerely say I can no longer defend the platform for use in our environment. Bottom line: FileMaker humbly needs to recognize that their job is to make a product that makes their clients' data easier, safer and non-destructive to manage rather than a product that wastes their clients time and costs them money. This issue is embarrassing to the product and inexusable.