1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2016 10:13 AM by philmodjunk

Scrolling glitches

kaosmaker

Summary

Scrolling glitches

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 8.1

Description of the issue

We have been experiencing some terrible glitches when scrolling up and down a layout via the scroll bar. Please reference the attached screenshots: In the first shot, the layout is as it should be. In the second shot, some minor glitching has already begun, simply by scrolling up and down. A line appears where there oughtn't be a line, and a field is half-disappeared, overlapped by other fields (which are not overlapping at all in layout mode). Lastly, hovering over the various fields seems to shift them (no doubt triggered by the Hover behaviors) into the mess seen in the last image.

This is prohibitively bad, and keeps us from designing any form layouts that might, on some monitor somewhere, be too long to display and require scrolling. We'll keep on developing our new solution, but we absolutely cannot deploy this project until this issue is resolved.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Click on the scroll bar and drag it up and down repeatedly. The effect is semi-random, so one simple scroll may not reproduce the problem, but several repeated movements up and down certainly will.

Expected result

Normal displays as designed.

Actual result

Glitchy displays, as shown in the attached screenshots.

Configuration information

Standard Filemaker themes

Workaround

Scrolling up and down by clicking only on the arrow buttons in the scroll bar does not cause glitching.

Entering Layout Mode and returning to Browse Mode clears the glitches.

Changing layouts clears the glitches.

Changing records clears the glitches.

moreglitches.png

• 1. Re: Scrolling glitches
          philmodjunk

To rule out a possible contributing factor, please open the Windows Display Control panel and confirm that it is set for 100%. If it is not, please set it to that value and see if you still have issues when the window is scrolled.

• 2. Re: Scrolling glitches
            kaosmaker

Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, I can confirm, it is indeed set for 100%

• 3. Re: Scrolling glitches
              TSGal

KaosMaker:

Thank you for your post.

Do you have any graphic accelerator cards installed?

Besides a Header, Body and Footer parts, do you have any other parts on the layout?

I see that the issue is "semi-random" with a few workarounds listed.  Does refreshing the window (under the Records menu) also work?

Do you notice anything prior to this happening?

Do you have access to another computer?  If so, are you able to replicate the screen issue?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Scrolling glitches
                kaosmaker

Hi TSGal, thanks for the response.

The only graphics card we have is the integrated Intel processor.

No other layout parts, no.

Refreshing the window does clear it, but same as the other workarounds, does not prevent it from happening again.

We have not noticed anything prior to this happening, except for scrolling as described. To clarify my "semi-random" comment, I only meant that a single scroll might not trigger it, but repeated scrolling will ALWAYS trigger it. Sometimes even the first scroll will, too.

This is happening to everyone on our development team. As all our computers are similar, however, we will try to install and replicate on another system.

The computers we are all using are laptops. We've successfully replicated the issue when the laptop is standalone, when it is paired with a single monitor, and when it is paired with multiple monitors through a hub, so it doesn't seem to be directly related to monitor configuration. Needless to say, this does not occur with WebDirect. Incidentally, it was discovered that this is also happening in table mode. Also, further testing has revealed that tabbing through fields, when that creates a scrolling action by tabbing off the bottom of the screen, will ALSO trigger this problem, every time without fail, though to a lesser degree of displacement.

By all means, if there are any other questions you have for us, we'd be more than willing to help resolve this issue.

Thanks again,

K

• 5. Re: Scrolling glitches
                  TSGal

KaosMaker:

Thanks for the additional information.

If this is "happening to everyone on our development team, then there is not reason to install on another machine, as I'm sure it would still happen.

On the layout from the screen shot above, are there script triggers?  Conditional Formatting?

If possible, I would like to get a copy of the file so I can try to replicate the issue under one of my Windows machines.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Scrolling glitches
                    kaosmaker

We don't have another machine to test on just now, that is fundamentally different from the laptops we're all using, but we did test it on a FMP copy on a sever, accessed via RDP. The problem was far less severe, and happened with far lesser frequency, but still occurred. Additionally, it even happens in layout mode, likewise with less severity and lesser frequency.

There are no script triggers on the screenshotted layout, or conditional formatting. There are two instances of "hide when..." objects., however, this still happens when those objects are deleted. Additionally, it is happening to a lesser extent in table view. We will talk to our employer to obtain the necessary permission to send you a copy of our file, but in the meantime, we were even able to replicate the issue in the Starter Solution: Contacts database, as shown in the screenshot attached.

Thanks again,

K

• 7. Re: Scrolling glitches
                      TSGal

KaosMaker:

I am still unable to replicate the issue on a Windows 7 Desktop computer using the built-in Contacts Starter Solution.  I will seek out a Windows Laptop computer with Windows 8.1 and let you know my results.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Scrolling glitches
                        philmodjunk

I keep coming back to how much this looks like a known issue that occurs when the Windows Display Control Panel is not set at 100%. That may not be the cause here, but it really matches the screen shots.

• 9. Re: Scrolling glitches
                          kaosmaker

Great, thank you once again! I'll be here if you have any other questions regarding our configuration (they're all new computers with mostly out of the box configurations, though).

• 10. Re: Scrolling glitches
                            kaosmaker

Well, this is super annoying. It turns out that, yes, PhilModJunk, you were correct. Attached are the screenshots that I saw, when I tried to check the setting you mentioned. In 8.1, apparently, it doesn't outright say 100% or 125%. Instead, it gave me the Smaller <--> Larger continuum, and where my system defaulted to, right in the middle, seemed like that was equivalent to the 100% you mentioned, especially since it read "Recommended size". Why wouldn't 100% be the recommended size?

It wasn't until you linked the image that I thought that perhaps I wasn't checking the right value in the right place, since I never remembered seeing anything that explicitly said 100%. I selected "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" to see what would happen, and sure enough...the second screenshot shows what I saw, except for being set to Larger at 150% (default!!)

In the end, thank you for your time and patience, it turns out this was a Windows 8.1 issue after all (at least in that it didn't make it easy to recognize the ultimately correct advice I was given).

It is a bit problematic that our solutions won't really work on a client's default Windows configuration, but at least we know what the problem is, now.

Thanks again,

K

• 11. Re: Scrolling glitches
                              philmodjunk

This is definitely a FileMaker issue as the layouts SHOULD display correctly at other display settings. I was quite disappointed when FMP 14 failed to fix this issue. A number of developers have complained that this renders Filemaker unusable for some Hi Resolution Monitors simply because menus and dialogs can't display large enough to be readable by the user. (We can always zoom a layout, but that only zooms part of the FileMaker Interface...)

• 12. Re: Scrolling glitches

KaosMaker:

Thank you for the post. 

PhilModJunk is correct (thank you!). We are aware of an issue with display glitches when using the Windows zoom feature and with higher resolution screens/monitors.

Additionally, I added your comments to the original report made to Testing and Development. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Scrolling glitches

@PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the replies. 

I also added your last comment to the original report made to Testing and Development. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Scrolling glitches
                                    Eric Whittaker Jr

philmodjunk  You mentioned you were disappointed when FMP 14 failed to fix this issue. Does that mean they have no intention solving this for FMP version 14?  Also, do you know if this is an issue that has been solved in FMP 15 or is this an issue at all for 15?

We just got some new laptops in running Windows 10 and we have these issues with display settings zoomed to 125% causing glitching when scrolling and because I have a layout built for a 1920 x 1080 display I did not factor in that the zoom setting makes my layout 25% wider. So I need to decide if it is fixed in FMP 15 do we get everyone updated to that version or do I settle for it being an issue and tell people to set the zoom settings to 100% or do I redesign the layouts factoring in that whatever I build will just be 25% wider for those displays and basically make another set of layouts...

TSGal

1 2 Previous Next