JamesGrubic

Summary

Scrolling in List view is very slow

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

Brand new database with about 400 records and 27 fields, I converted it to FM12.

In Filemaker 10 this was scrolling effortlessly in List view. In fact I can launch it in FM10 even now and happily scroll to my heart's content.

In Filemaker 12 the scroll speed is significantly slower. This is with a spartan UI. If I dare to apply any of the themes with rounded UI elements, etc., it gets even slower.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Convert database to v12

Go to layout with List view-friendly layout

Expected result

Smooth, fast scrolling

Actual result

Slow, choppy scrolling. I timed this as well and it was almost a full second slower on this database of approximately 400 records.

Workaround

Don't use Filemaker 12

• 1. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
          rmanook

Hi James Grubic:

Thanks for submitting your post.

This is currently a known issue in FileMaker 12.  In-house testing has re-produced with records benchmarked at 100,000 and I was also able to reproduce in a 400 record/27 field configuration similar to yours.

I'll update when applicable information is made available to me.

Thanks,
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
            philmodjunk

Does the slow scroll manfest in Windows systems? (Still waiting for delivery of my copy of 12...)

• 3. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
              Vincent_L

Yes that's terrible that makes Filemaker 12 completely unusable for me. I won't upgrade till it's fixed (which might be never because it's the new layout graphic engine that's the culprit).

• 4. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                philmodjunk

"yes that's terrible" means yes it occurs on windows systems? Sorry, but have to be very careful to be accurate when publicly posting bug information...

• 5. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                  Vincent_L

No, I was reacting to the original post. I don't know about windows, I didn't see the windows question.

• 6. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                    Vincent_L

Here's some tests

All on Mac OS X 10.7.3

Table view is also slower. In fact Filemaker 12 is slower accros the board, but lits view is
                    terrible, up to 3 (even 5 in one test) times slower.

I made a benchmark file (https://rapidshare.com/files/829418137/bench.zip) you can compare, it's
                    TERRIBLE.

List view performance is terrible

List view is very useful, My users spend their days in list view. But FMP has always been slow in
                    list view, so I was eager to see some improvements. I made a script that simulates list view
                    scrolling. 679 Lines scrolled down from start to finish, repeated several times

First, locally, the database used standalone,

FMP being the only application opened, 6 repeats

FMPa 11v4 : 3 minutes 42 seconds FMPa 12 : 10 minutes and 2 seconds

I redid the test many times, and made videos with quicktime screen capture, with the video the speed
                    differences is even worse, as the screen capture overhead had a bigger impact on FMP 12

FMP being the only application opened + Quicktime screen recording full screen. 3 repeats (so twice
                    less work)

FMPa 11v4 : 2 minutes 56 seconds ( https://rapidshare.com/files/594170686/FMP11.mov )
                    FMPa 12 : 12 minutes 47 ( https://rapidshare.com/files/2442627556/FMP12.mov )

When watching Filemaker you can see in FMP 11 that the scroll bar moving, with FMP 12 you can't
                    perceive the moves because each steps of the scroll bar are to separated by too much time.

Same scroll test, but with client server setup

FMPa 11v4 + FMS 11v2 : 4 minute 30 secondes
                    FMPa 12 + FMS 12 : 10 minutes 32 seconds

As you see FMP12 has about the same performance locally or thru LAN, but it's the same slowness
                    rather than speed.

Same scroll test, local, standalone, list view converted to table vie, test ran in Table view

FMPa 11v4 : 2 min 10
                    FPPa 12 : 6 min 36

4. I made a test database (https://rapidshare.com/files/829418137/bench.zip)

- In this bench file this is just plain text/number indexed data, so contrary to my previous tests,
                    this one doesn't include any unstored calculation, so this is as fast as possible are just the
                    display process is used, no calculations whatsoever

- I developed the bench database with FMPa 11 and then converted to FMPa 12, so this is exactly the
                    same thing

- This test file reproduce user scrolling, so this is as real world test as possible, it's not an
                    obscure issue, it's one everyone using Tableview or list view will experience

- I'm worried because as my first test (1.) show, the calculation engine is also slower, so that
                    means that FMPa 12 is a terrible step back in performance, to the point that it puts the future of
                    FMP in jeopardy for my use.

FMP11

List view : 46 secondes
                    Table view : 70 secondes

FMP12

List view : 121 secondes
                    Table view : 203 secondes

So if you use list or table vew : I SUGGEST TO NOT UPGRADE

Best Regards

• 7. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                      rmanook

PhilModJunk:

The slowness/choppiness is a symptom of a general drawing issue users may encounter on both Mac and Windows.

Thanks,
                      tsturtle
                      FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                        Vincent_L

Hi Turle,

Will it be fixed in a .x Upgrade, because now it's unusable for me and my users, I waon't upgrade.

It has to be fixed ASAP.

That's a huge regression.

List view, table view was already slow before, I expected ann improvement, not a 5 times performance loss.

• 9. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                          rmanook

Hi Glitchtracker,

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but it has always been FileMaker's policy to decline comment on future releases and what fixes may or may not be included.

Thanks,
                          tsturtle
                          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                            AndyCohen

It is hard to understand how FMI could go ahead with a release of a non-downward compatible version update without having done testing of this kind of very basic functionality.

This is only one of a number of issues related to FM12 that have left me perplexed.

• 11. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                              rodinbangkok

Having froze our development at V10, it is now clear to me that we will not be upgrading any of our solutions to 12 and beyond.  Asking any one of my customers to re invest in a newer version only for them to realize a big step back in performance would be suicide for us.  Its quite obvious that if FM has acknowledged this type of severe performance degredation within hours of its release it is not something that is going to be fixed anytime soon.  I've told our people not to even bother looking at 12 from the standpoint of our products at this time.  I can assure you we will not ask our customers to re-invest in a solution with this type of performance degredation.  If asked by the IT folks at our customers sites I will refer them to this thread as to why we are not pursuing FM12 at this time.

• 12. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                                gcatnine

I made a post http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/a111aeb4af in which I expose the problem of screen update with FM12 using Windows 7.

it takes to me at least 1 second to refresh the srcreen after the script ended

• 13. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow
                                  ryyno10

The windows FM12 version also scrolls signifigantly slower than FM11 on List view...  Of course we use nearly 35 fields (used to track prostate data).

• 14. Re: Scrolling in List view is very slow

Wait until v3 with ALL software and hardware before putting new versions into production... Consider first version of new upgrade BETA and pay wait for the bug reports and cries of agony die down...  :)

1 2 3 Previous Next