Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.8.5

Description of the issue

When a calculation field is using an aggregate function applied to a related field, a search about it performed by FileMaker Pro will always fail and return a no record match error, if the file is hosted by FileMaker Server 12.0v4.

--

NB : Even it is not supposed to be dangerous for data, this bug is :
      1. recurring across FMS versions and ages (pretty please, include it on your test protocol!)
      2. potentially create a lot of other bugs, specially on scripts (that will often totally fail!)

NB 2 : I couldn't find this one on the forum yet, nor the known bugs list, but i am almost sure that it already exists. Sorry in advance.

--

Steps to reproduce the problem

STEP 1
      Create a small database with two tables and one relationship between them.

STEP 2
      On first table, define a calculation field that aggregate the second table, for instance a Count ( Related_Table::ID ) formula.

STEP 3
      Create few records on both tables to see a result on the calc field.

STEP 4
      Try a search about this calc, with for instance a >0 criteria.

STEP 5
      If it works, host your file on a FileMaker Server 12.0v4 and repeat the step 4.

Expected result

Same result as step 4.

Actual result

No records match this find criteria.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

See above.

Configuration information

Tested with FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 / 12.0v5 under Mac OS X 10.8.5 and Windows 7.
      It only occurs on my customer's configuration but not on mine. Even our OS are the same, at contrary to me, my customer have not applied the FMS 12.0v5 update.
      I know this last FMS update is supposed to be only java-related. I am wondering if the OS X of my customer have a particularity that could be the culprit. Maybe it is the fact that his Mac OS X 10.8.5 is installed on a VMWare multiple virtual machines system ? Go figure...

Workaround

It seem that FMS 12.0v5 solve the issue (to be verified, i couldn't at this time).

• 1. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
          philmodjunk

Fred,

You may be recalling this issue, which is similar but possibly not the same:

For More Information see:     Finds on calculation fields computing values from global field based relationship fail

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
            Fred(CH)

Thanks Phil.

To be honest, my impression is that it is not this one i had in mind but … maybe my memory fails.

On the KBL the status is "Fixed in FMP 12".

And mine is more severe because my relationship was classical with one regular field.

I hope a TS-Person will take time to follow my steps and tell us if yes or no they can reproduce this scaring bug.

Bye, Fred

• 3. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
              TSGal

Fred:

Thank you for your post.

I'm trying to locate a VM system with FileMaker Server 12.0v4.  In the mean time, I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Server 13.0v1 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 (Mac 10.9.1, 10.8.5 and Windows 7).  Here are the steps I took:

1. I created a file with two tables "Names" and "Invoices", linked together by the Number field ID.

2. In Names, I entered three different names (TSGal, Fred, and PhilModJunk).

3. In "invoices", I created nine records, where there are three groups of records for each ID.

4. In the layout associated with "Names", I created a portal to verify the correct records are linked.

5. In "Names", I created a Calculation field "SumAmount" with the formula Sum ( Invoices::Amount )

6. The correct values are verified.

7. I performed a search for Amount < 100, and the one record that satisfies the search is displayed.

8. I set the file for Network Sharing and upload it to FileMaker Server 13.0v1 running Windows Server 2008.

9. Using VMware, I launch an instance of FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 on Windows 7, access the hosted file, and perform the same search.  The one record is found.  I then launch an instance of FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 on Mac OS X 10.8.5, access the hosted file and perform the same search.  The one record is found.

10. From my Mac OS X 10.9.1, I launch FileMaker Pro 13.0v1, access the hosted file, perform the same search, and the one record is found.

I'll have time later today to try this with FileMaker Server 12.  I'll keep you posted.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                Fred(CH)

I'm trying to locate a VM system with FileMaker Server 12.0v4.  In the mean time, I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Server 13.0v1 and FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 (Mac 10.9.1, 10.8.5 and Windows 7).

Thanks but... i know well it is not reproducible on FMS 13.

And the VM system is not surely the culprit. Just test it on a regular system with FMS 12.0v4.

Re-read my report.

Thanks, Fred

• 5. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                  TSGal

Fred:

When someone reports an issue, I try to replicate the issue using the current product.  Also, I try to simulate the environment.  In your case, you questioned if VMWare was a possible cause, so I needed to try that to eliminate that possibility.

Since then, I have found an instance of FileMaker Server 12.0v5, but not 12.0v4.  I was still unable to replicate the issue using the same environment.

I will continue to update you as I have more information.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                    philmodjunk

Fred,

I agree that the issue is not the same, but suspected that its similarities might be why you thought there was a previous issue report for what you are reporting.

• 7. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                      Fred(CH)

Since then, I have found an instance of FileMaker Server 12.0v5, but not 12.0v4.  I was still unable to replicate the issue using the same environment.

Seriously ?

You are kidding me, yes ?

PLEASE RE-READ MY REPORT

(Can't believe it.)

• 8. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                        Fred(CH)

I agree that the issue is not the same, but suspected that its similarities might be why you thought there was a previous issue report for what you are reporting.

Yes i know, and i thank you for that !

Friendly,

Fred

• 9. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                          Fred(CH)

Thanks to Finds on client do NOT work properly on server, i just tried to restart my customer's virtual machine (the server) before trying to install the 12.0v5 FMS Update.

And you know what ? It solved the issue !

I test the original file and a test-file provided by TSGal. Both results were the same :

Before Restart (FileMaker Server 12.0v4)                     Fail
                                              After Restart (FileMaker Server 12.0v4)                     Succes
                                              After Restart (FileMaker Server 12.0v5)                     Succes

I am a bit disappointed to be honest… That means the bug can come back any time angry.

FileMaker, are you sure you haven't any additional info about this intermittent bug ? I encounter it many times on many customers  over years and it is clear that i am not alone in this case ! 

The post linked on the top talks about indexes, Is it relevant ?

Bye, Fred

• 10. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                            TSGal

Fred:

I don't have any additional information why the record cannot be found.  I doubt the index in the file would be the issue, because a restart of FileMaker Server would only open the file; not reindex the fields.  This may be memory or cache related.  Since you have encountered this "many times", the next time this occurs, log all users off, open the file with [Full Access], turn off indexing for all fields, and then turning them off again so the indexing can be reset.  Have users then log on, and execute the same searches.  If it still fails, then there is a memory issue, and a restart is then needed.

Keep me updated when this occurs again.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                              Fred(CH)

turn off indexing for all fields, and then turning them off again so the indexing can be reset.

By all fields you mean the fields implied in the relationship ?

• 12. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                                Fred(CH)

TSGal :

Forget the question : it is hopeless, since the same file in local worked fine.

The next time, instead of a restart of the computer, i will try a restart of FMS Service.

Thus, we will know if the bug is FMS related or System related.

Bye, Fred

PS : i am angry over me to didn't think about this test before...

• 13. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                                  Fred(CH)

The same issue has been reported today with FileMaker Server 13.0v2 Finds on unstored calcs stop working in hosted file (Windows).

Fred

• 14. Re: Search on aggregate related calc fail if hosted
                                    TSGal

Fred:

Since this issue has occurred with more than one person, our Development and Testing teams would like to gather more information about your system.  Please see your Inbox at the top of this page for more information.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.