5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 7:01 AM by tas

Searching calc field on server

pbeyrouty

Summary

Searching calc field on server

Description of the issue

I have a calculation field that determines the distance between the zip code of an entry in our Candidate database and another zip of the user's choosing. This zip is entered in a global field. The calculation works perfectly, but searching doesn't. The first search on the calc field works fine. I am usually searching for someone within a certain distance (

• 1. Re: Searching calc field on server
          TSGal

pbeyrouty:

Thank you for your post.

Remember... global fields are local for each session.  Therefore, any entries you make into a global field will be different than someone else who is using the same file.  This could cause a lot of the slowness.  Instead, you may want to issue a Replace into a text field.  This would force the calculation across all records, and the search would be quicker.

In any case, I am happy to see your file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this screen - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Searching calc field on server
            TSGal

pbeyrouty:

Thank you for sending in your database file.  I was able to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Any calculation field that involves a global field will be unstored.  On a local machine, this isn't a problem, but when put on a server, where each user has a local global variable, the results are unexpected.  For your case, since you are using FileMaker Pro 10, you can take advantage of script triggers.  This is what I did:

1. In the Candidates table, I created "g_distance" - a global Number field.  This field will be used to enter the distance you want to search for.  In the example you sent me, you were searching for "<15".  In this field, just enter 15.

2. Create the following script, "Distance Trigger":

# check to make sure the value isn't negative 

If [ IsEmpty (Candidates:: g_distance) or Candidates:: g_distance < 0 ]

Exit Script []

End If

# make sure all records are available and point to the first record

Show All Records

Go to Record/Request/Page [ First ]

# initialize a flag/variable to keep track of the last record

Set Variable [ $exit ; "0" ]

# enter loop

Loop

# check to see if record is outside the distance.  If so, omit the record

If [ Candidates:: g_distance < Candidates:: c_Distance ]

Omit Record

# check to see if the flag/variable was set for the last record.  If so, exit loop

Exit Loop If [ $exit = "1" ]

# check to see if the current record is the last record.  If so, set the flag/variable

If [ Get ( FoundCount ) = Get ( RecordNumber ) ]

Set Variable [ $exit ; Value: "1" ]

End If

Else

# else, record is within the requested distance, so go to the next record

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next; Exit after last ]

End If

End Loop

# check to see if zero records are within the required distance

If [ Get ( FoundCount ) = 0 ]

Show Custom Dialog [ "No Records Found" ]

Show All Records 

End If 

# the pointer is at the last record, so go to the first record

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

--------------

3. In Layout mode, click once on the g_distance field, pull down the Format menu and select "Set Script Triggers..."

4. Put a check mark next to "OnObjectSave", and select the script "Distance Trigger".  Click OK.

Go to Browse Mode and enter a Zip along with a distance.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Searching calc field on server
              pbeyrouty
                 Thanks for the recommendation. I will use this work around. Do you know if this issue is something that Filemaker is working on fixing or should I do a similar work around for all similar calculation fields in the future?
              • 4. Re: Searching calc field on server
                TSGal

pbeyrouty:

I have no information about the status of this issue.  In the mean time, if you are searching on any field that is a calculation based on global fields, then use a similar script as above.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Searching calc field on server
                  tas

I was wondering if the problem I have is related to the one in this thread or I should start a new thread.  This is my problem:

I have two related tables: Items(ID,...) and Transactions(ItemID, Date, Quantity).  I want to compute the total quantity of transactions of an item before a specific date. So I add a global in Items (gEndDate) and add another relationship Transactions_OnDate where ID=ItemID AND gEndDate >=Date

I then add a calculated field in Items Qty_OnDate = Sum(Transactions_OnDate::Quantity)

Everything works perfectly.  I see correct records in both portals.  I am also able to search in the calculated field Qty_OnDate.

BUT when I move the database to server, portals and records display correct amounts but when I search for Qty_OnDate >0 after changing global gEndDate I get the wrong results: I get results of previous search, as if the Qty_OnDate has not updated even though I see correct results. If I make any changes to a record, then Qty_OnDate is updated properly and that record appears correctly after find. 

Is this manifestation of the same problem? Can you suggest a workaround for this case?