Second portal and self-join doesn't work as expected

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.5.8

Description of the issue

I built two portals with the associated self join structures to show other records which match my target record using separate criteria (in this case first name and last name). I want to show other records to help my user pick the right diver from a list of (potentially) thousands.

Steps to reproduce the problem

File contains First Name and Last Name fields with self joins on each. see divers-relationships.gif, below

Expected result

From screen shots "Divers-Gerry" and "Divers-Smith" I can see that there are 7 "Smiths" and 2 "Gerrys" in the file. I expected the "Divers-Find" to show 5 of the 7 "Smiths" and both of the 2 "Gerrys".

Actual result

"Divers-Find" shows 5 of 7 "Smiths", but the same "Gerry" repeated twice instead of the two "Gerrys" available in the file.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages

Configuration information

No additional information

Workaround

No workarounds

DiverDB_problem.gif

• 1. Re: Second portal and self-join doesn't work as expected
          philmodjunk

From your screen shot of "Gerry" divers on lower left, I see two records with "Gerry" in the first name field, but I can't see the last name field for the second "Gerry" record (Sponsor = ERD). Thus, just from your screen shot, the portals could be correctly displaying the data that they should.

Assuming that the second "Gerry" does have a different last name, I'd enter layout mode and double-click the last name field in the lower portal and make sure that it comes from Divers_table 3 not Divers_Table or Divers_Table 2.

• 2. Re: Second portal and self-join doesn't work as expected
            GerrySmith

Two "Gerrys", and the lower portal goes to screen 3. Not sure how to get another screenshot into this but thanks for looking. If it will help I'll put up another "issue" with a new screenshot.

When I posted this as an "issue" instead of a question I assumed I'd hear from someone at Filemaker. Are you employed by them or just a kind soul who helps out stuck coders? 

Thanks for the help,

Gerry

• 3. Re: Second portal and self-join doesn't work as expected
              philmodjunk

You can upload images to a sharing site and then post links to those pictures in your replies. I recommend that approach as you can maintain context for those reading the thread.

Report an Issue is intended for posting possible bug reports. I doubt that this one is a bug as what you've set up is pretty simple here.

I don't get paid by FileMaker, but they did sign me up to be "community leader" some time ago... That's what that blue ribbion is supposed to indicate, (the ribbon was not my idea folks).