0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 9:20 AM by GaryNunes

Selecting a drop down list value sometimes inserts its value into another field

GaryNunes

Summary

Selecting a drop down list value sometimes inserts its value into another field

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3 (but also existed in 8.5)

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.5.8

Description of the issue

I have a layout with various fields including many that are set up as drop down lists containing all values from the associated field.

I am looking at the DB using List View mode (the window size allows seeing all of a given record of the layout plus a small amount of a preceding or succeeding record).

If I click on a drop down list field in a record that is not currently active:
          - The record becomes active.
          - The drop down list of the  field that was clicked on displays (drops down) then immediately goes away ("folds" up).
          - The field with the drop down list is now selected.
          - Sometimes the value shown in the selected drop down list field has been inserted into another field in the layout.

Steps to reproduce the problem

As described in the issue section.

Expected result

Selecting a drop down list field in a record should result in the record containing the field to become active (if it is not already) and then display the drop down list associated with the selected field.

Actual result

The record does become active but the drop down list of the selected field only briefly displays and then disappears leaving the associated field selected. Sometimes the value displaying in the now selected field is inserted in some other, seemingly arbitrary, field of the layout.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There is no error message

Workaround

If I remember to first make the record active (without selecting any field with a drop down list) and then select the desired drop down list field itself things work as expected.