13 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2012 9:46 AM by philmodjunk

Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???

DebraFox

Summary

Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6

Description of the issue

I have been using Send Email for all of my database for quite some time and I've NEVER had this issue.

In this ONE database, there are 247 records -- not all have email addresses --

When I ask it to send email -- it only produces 51 emails (which is far less than it should).

Steps to reproduce the problem

I went to the database that WAS sending properly and copied the script to the database that was NOT sending properly -- it still does the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Expected result

I need to be able to send emails to ALL the records.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

NONE

• 1. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
          philmodjunk

Describing which email client program you are using (or are you using SMTP?) and what each email consists of and how your script sends out the email (One email at a time or with the current found set option?) May help others suggest a solution to this issue.

• 2. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
            DebraFox

Hmmm -- well, it's the same way I've always sent them out never having a problem before....but here is the info:

Send via:  Email Client

Create:  Multiple emails (one for each record in found set)

TO:  (Specify Field Name) Email

Each email is just text --- as follows:

"FROM:  Debra Fox, President --- Image Development Group Trainers-Speakers Bureau¶RE:  Our New Trainers and Topics¶¶I would like to introduce you to our NEW Trainers:¶¶MICHELLE PHILLIPS ---¶•    Bestselling Author, National TV/Radio Host, Empowerment Coach, Keynote Speaker¶•    In 2011 alone, she shared her message on stages in the US and Canada as part of the Power of Women Tour with Sigourney Weaver, Suzanne Somers and Barbara Corcoran, and at the 'I Can Do It!' event with inspirational icons Wayne Dyer and Louise Hay.¶•    Her best-selling book,  'The Beauty Blueprint: 8 Steps to Building the Life and Look of Your Dreams' has topped lists in the US, UK, Canada, Japan, and Australia, for over 30 weeks in paperback and Kindle.¶¶
            MARIE DAVIS --¶•    Grammar and Business Writing¶
            •    Over 20 years of training experience¶¶
            STEPHEN CRAWFORD --¶
            •    With expertise in, leadership development, teamwork, diverse environments, experiential education, and community transformation Stephen challenges traditional thinking by inspiring change through creative experiences.¶
            •    Stephen obtained his undergraduate degree in Urban Studies from North Central University, a Master in Organizational Leadership from Bethel University, and is currently a Doctoral candidate in Emerging Leadership at Bethel University.¶¶
            MARK BASIL --¶
            •    Loss Prevention & Security¶
            •    Mark Basil served with distinction in the United States Secret Service for ten years.  ¶¶
            When you need external trainers or speakers for your upcoming event, call Image Development Group Trainers-Speakers Bureau.¶¶

Debra Fox, President¶
            IDG Speakers Bureau¶
            704-246-6731"

• 3. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
              DebraFox

It seems that if the problem was in the body of the email -- it wouldn't send ANY emails.

But it IS preparing 51 emails --- no matter what I do or change --- 51 emails get prepared to send.

But the file has 246 records.

So why is it not preparing an outgoing email for all of the records as requested?

• 4. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
                philmodjunk

I suggest posting your script.

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
                2. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
                3. If You have FileMaker advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
                4. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format. (Use the HTML option on the database tab panel and paste the text into the forum's HTML editor.)
                • 5. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
                  philmodjunk

If you are using the upload an image controls, the file must be of type jpg, gif or PNG. You can't upload a PDF or other file format.

• 7. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
                    philmodjunk

First thing that I see is that the first IF expression is enclosed in /* comment brackets */. This keeps this expression from evaluating and thus the Else part of your script will be performed every time. You also have a reference to a field that does not exist in your current table or any related table so you get <TableMissing>. Remove the brackets, fixt the reference to the missing field.

You also have table::email in comment brackts in the CC box so this would keep an email address from being entered into that box for the send mail and thus no email is sent out.

Also, no part of this script changes layouts nor does it manipulate the found set. It works on whatever layout and found set is current at the time you perform the script so if you have 51 records in your found set when you perform the script, you'll have 51 records in your found set being used in the attempt to send out emails.

• 8. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
                      DebraFox

Oaky -Well, I didn't understand everything you said....

But let's start with this.  My "found" set is all 247 records ---  that's why I can't understand why it's only sending to 51 records.

As to the code --- it's the exact same code that has been in all of my databases == andit has worked ust fine.  I literally copied the script from a WORKING database to this one.

I'm not trying to put any email addresses in the CC box....so I'm unclear how this affects this particular issue.

Help me understand how this exact script works in my other database files, but not this one.

• 9. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
                        DebraFox

Okay --- now I'm REALLY confused.  I'm not using a script....I'm using the "send mail" option under the File pull-down enu in Filemaker.

This is what I've always used ---- So I took a picture of THAT screen....

There is currently NO SCRIPT in the scripts area for send mail and this command still sent the email but only 51 of them.

• 10. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
                          philmodjunk

As to the code --- it's the exact same code that has been in all of my databases == andit has worked ust fine.  I literally copied the script from a WORKING database to this one.

I could tell that you copied and pasted or imported the script. Neither method guarantees that the script will work in the new file where you imported or pasted it. It contains references to things that do not exist in the new file and thus parts are enclosed in comment brackets and another step shows with the error message: <Missing table>. I can see these errors directly in your script.

I would guess that "table::email" is not something that exists in the current file. If you edited the script step to remove /* and */ from the IF step and I would predict that you'll get an error message when you click OK to close the specify calculation dialog box.

There is currently NO SCRIPT in the scripts area for send mail and this command still sent the email but only 51 of them.

Best guess is that either your found set actually consists of 51 records or the IDG Speakers Bureau::Email field does not contain a valid email address in every record of that found set.

If you are trying to send the email from a layout that does not exactly list "IDG Speakers Bureau" in layout setup's "Show Records From" drop down list, that difference in table reference could explain the issues you are having.

• 11. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
                            DebraFox

I really appreciate your assistance -- but I am just lost.

My found set consists of 247 records.

Not all of them have email address -- but more than 51 do for sure! 

If you are trying to send the email from a layout that does not exactly list "IDG Speakers Bureau" in layout setup's "Show Records From" drop down list, that difference in table reference could explain the issues you are having.

I don't know what this means...
                            I can't find a "SHOW RECORDS FROM" drop down list.

• 12. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
                              DebraFox

Well --- I solved the problem.....

Record #52 ---

In the email line....it only showed one email address.

But when I clicked on the email field, there were 5 email addresses hidden in that field.

GESH!!!!!!

Thank you for ALL your patience and assistance.
                              I knew it had to be some stupid thing I was just not seeing.

• 13. Re: Send email Script is only sending to 51 out of 247 files???
                                philmodjunk

I don't know what this means...
                                I can't find a "SHOW RECORDS FROM" drop down list.

Enter layout mode.

Select Layout Setup... from the Layouts Menu.