Send Event->Open Doc Works on 10.6 but fails on 10.7

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7

Description of the issue

Previously, on 10.6.8 (which we still have on some computers), the Send Event ["Preview"; "aevt"; "odoc"; Lesson Materials::FilePath] would properly open the paths contained in Lesson Materials::FilePath in Preview.

On 10.7, sometimes it does, usually it doesn't. The FilePath file contains something like this "ITUNES:iTunes:Books:Drum Books:Alan Hall - Elements and Ostinatos Book 2.pdf" where ITUNES is the name of the server, etc. I thought that perhaps changing the : to \ would help, but it results in the same thing, 10.6 loving it, 10.7 not. I even put in /Volumes/ before. 10.6 works file, 10.7.....nope.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Pretty much any Send Event to Preview that opens a doc

Expected result

Open a Document in Preview from the FilePath file that contains a string which is the path to the file.

Actual result

Usually doesn't work at all, sometimes it opens a previous file then won't do anything. Sometimes it doesn't do anything at all. This is all while running 10.7. In 10.6 it works fine.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Sometimes I get a "You don't have Permission to view" error, which is not true, as if I check the file in Finder, it is there, I have permission, and it opens.

Workaround

Go back to 10.6?

• 1. Re: Send Event->Open Doc Works on 10.6 but fails on 10.7
          TSGal

ericdano:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  The correct path would include forward slashes "/".  That is:

file:/<volume name>/<folder1>/.../<filename.pdf>

Using your example:

file:/ITUNES/iTunes/Books/Drum Books/Alan Hall - Elements and Ostinatos Book 2.pdf

This works for me on both Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Mac OS X Lion, and using my own shared server.

Let me know if you continue to run into difficulty.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.