5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 8:13 AM by TSGal

Send mail attaching multiple files

Jonny.d

Summary

Send mail attaching multiple files

Description of the issue

In a script using "send Mail" I check the box for attachments and under specify I list 3 files to be attached.  file:Exported/Drivers.Exported.fp7file:Exported/Passengers.Exported.fp7file:Exported/Schedule.Exported.fp7 file:Exported/Drivers.Exported.fp7file:Exported/Passengers.Exported.fp7file:Exported/Schedule.Exported.fp7 Only 1 of the 3 files becomes attached to the email, the file for Drivers.

• 1. Re: Send mail attaching multiple files
          WoodApple

Filemaker only attaches the first valid path to the E-Mail (so, only one attachment per e-mail) I have gotten around this by using an OS level script to do it and there are many plugins that can do this as well.

• 2. Re: Send mail attaching multiple files
            TSGal

Jonny.d:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro will only allow one file attachment.   You can specify multiple file paths separated by carriage returns.  File paths are searched in the order in which they appear, and FileMaker Pro uses the first file it is able to locate.  For example, the three files in your Path list, it will look first for Drivers.Exported.fp7.  If that file cannot be found, then it will search for Passengers.Exported.fp7.  If that file cannot be found, then it will search for Schedule.Exported.fp7.

If you want to attach multiple files, then compress all files into one zip file.  Then, attach the zip file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Send mail attaching multiple files
              Jonny.d

Thanks for the information and the solution.  I really have a tough time understanding why filemaker only allows 1 file to be attached when sending an email.  The directions in the "Send Mail" state that more than 1 file can be sent.   I accept this as the way filemaker works but it sure in counterintuitive and I think it should be changed in future versions.

• 4. Re: Send mail attaching multiple files
                mrvodka

Jonny.d wrote:

The directions in the "Send Mail" state that more than 1 file can be sent.

Where? Although I do not disagree with you that this would be nice to have in future version...

• 5. Re: Send mail attaching multiple files
                  TSGal

Jonny.d:

I encourage you to enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form located at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are some personal questions asked that you must answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.