Send Mail does not create message if Message field is empty

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v2

Operating system version

Macintosh OS10.7.4

Description of the issue

Unless you type anything - even a single space character - into the message text field of the SendMail function, it will not create a new message in the client.  This is identical behavior whether or not the function is used as a script step or just assigned to a button.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Make a button.
      Assign it to the SendMail function.
      Assign a TO from a field
      Write a subject of one or more words, it doesn't matter
      Don't write anything in the message text
      Do not check Perform Without Dialog.
      (the intent is for the user to create the pre-addressed message and then write their own message)
      Press your button and you will see that nothing goes into your mail client, although the mail client does become active.
      Put one or more characters into your Send Mail message text
      Press your button and you will see an open window with the expected result.

Expected result

An open message in your mail client

Actual result

Nothing happens except that the mail client activates

Workaround

always put a space character or a dot or some text of any kind into the message text, such as "Write your message here"

• 1. Re: Send Mail does not create message if Message field is empty
          databuzz

I also noticed this recently. I went and checked and it's a change in behaviour from FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 on Mac OS X 10.7.4. In FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 you could leave the Message field empty and a new email would be created ready for the user to enter their message body and send the email.

I'm testing this with Outlook for Mac 2011 and have found that if I don't have a Subject and Message it will just create a new email and put it into the Drafts folder. However if I have something in both the Subject and Message fields it will create a new email ready for the user to compose. You can test this quite easily as Dennis notes by creating a button on a layout.

• 2. Re: Send Mail does not create message if Message field is empty
            dburnham

I also use Outlook for Mac 2011 and I have found that whether or not there is a Subject specified, the absence of anything in the Message will defeat the procedure.

What I expect is that Perform Without Dialog will put the message in the Outbox immediately and send it the next time Outlook does a send/receive.

But if the Perform Without Dialog option is not checked the message should either go into the drafts folder or present itself as an open window for the user to do any necessary editing.

Can't say I have a preference for the Drafts folder or the open window, but either would be acceptable in lieu of what we have now.