Summary

Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows

Description of the issue

When using the Send Mail script step via WebDirect, the To: field in Outlook is not populated.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use Send Mail script step in WebDirect. I have tried using a FileMaker Pro 13 Starter Solution that includes emailing from WebDirect (Contacts DB). Both my current solution and that Contacts Start Solution have the same results.

Expected result

To: Addresses as scripted

Actual result

To:

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages.

Configuration information

Server Configuration:
      Windows Server 2008 R2
      FileMaker Server 13
      IIS 7.5
      Single Machine Configuration.

Client Configuration:
      Windows 7 x64
      Outlook 2010
      Chrome 33.x

Also tried on
      Windows XP x86
      Outlook 2007
      Chrome 33.x

Workaround

Have the addresses in the CC: field.

SendMail_Options.png

• 1. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
          TSGal

James Bjarnason:

Thank you for your post.

Besides the script step, are you able to manually send the email?  That is, if you pull down the File menu and select Send -> Mail, fill out the data, does this work?  If not, try using a static email address in the "To" section.  Does this work?

What version of FileMaker Pro are you using on your Windows XP machine?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
            sjamesbj

Sending email is not an issue, works fine from FileMaker Pro. The issue is just in WebDirect via a browser. I have tested both Chrome 33.x & Internet Explorer 11 and both have the same result. I actually first tried a static email address in the "To:" section. That was when I first noticed the issue. In fact there was a secondary issue with the subject line appearing in the "BCC:" field. I solved that issue by putting a blank space " " in the "BCC:" field in the script. The email addresses appear correctly when emailing from FileMaker Pro, however this solution is going to be primarily web based as I am dealing with another IT department and installing software on "their" PCs is difficult to say the least. I also have a couple of other solutions in the works that will also need to be able to email from WebDirect, so this is quite an issue for me.

The Windows XP machine is using FileMaker Pro 12v4, however the issue is not with sending from FileMaker, it is sending from the Web.

If it helps any, the database was originally developed in FileMaker Pro 12v4 Advanced and then FileMaker Pro 13v1 Advanced.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
              TSGal

James Bjarnason:

My apologies.  I remember reading WebDirect the first time, but somehow, it slipped my mind when answering.

Both of your issues have been previously reported (not by someone on the FileMaker forum), and our Development and Testing teams are aware of both issues.  To summarize, the To: field is not passed to Microsoft Outlook, and the wrong values are passed to CC and BCC in Outlook if you don't specify these values in a script when sending mail via WebDirect.  These issues only occurs with E-mail client Outlook and WebDirect.

I have attached your post to both of these reported issues.  When any additional information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
                sjamesbj

TSGal,

Thank you! I did check through the forums and the Known Issues/Bugs list but couldn't find this specific issue, but it is good to know that the Development & Testing team is already looking into the issue.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
                  philmodjunk

The Known Bugs List is a community supported database. It only lists bugs that I have spotted in Report an Issue that have been (Mostly) confirmed by a TS person. Thus, your report was needed before I knew of the issue and could add it. In addition, the downloadable database tends to be 1 to 2 weeks behind what is posted to the Known Bugs List threads in Report an issue as I usually take a few minutes on a Friday afternoon to export the data from the FIleMaker 13 copy to an older File Format and then update the Drop Box shared zip file.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 6. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
                    sjamesbj

@PhilModJunk

I can now say that "I'm helping" (feel free to read that in the voice of Ralph Wiggum). I didn't realize that the Known Bug List database was community supported. I will post my questions/issues much sooner now, although I will still check through the database and forums first to make sure that I'm not duplicating.

Thanks!! :-)

• 7. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
                      TSGal

James Bjarnason:

Don't spend a lot of time checking through the database and forums.  If you run into an issue, don't hesitate in reporting it.  It's better to get the information from you individually as your explanation may uncover a cause to an already reported issue.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
                        sjamesbj

@TSGal

Will do!!

Thanks again!

• 9. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
                          philmodjunk

I will politely disagree with TSGal. The whole point to creating this database was to save interested party from reporting previously documented bugs. A few minutes spent checking for similar reports in the database can save hours testing and writing up a potential bug that had been previously reported and confirmed.

• 10. Re: Send Mail in WebDirect leaves To: field blank
                            TSGal

All:

My apologies for not keeping everyone updated.

This issue has been fixed in FileMaker Server 13.0v2.  You can download the latest version, FileMaker Server 13.0v3, via Knowledge Base Article #13615 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13615

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.