Send Mail Script Not Working

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker 13.0v1

Operating system version

OS X 10.9.2

Description of the issue

I constructed a script just using 'Send Mail', NOT clicking (selecting) the "Perform without dialog" and using the "Specify..." command button in the dialog to specify sending through my E-Mail Client, the email address of the recipient, the Subject, and message.  The name of my database is "PresentersEtc" and you can see from the attached screen shot how I stipulated the various components of the email I want produced by the script.  The message field in my database contains the entire text of my email.

I then placed a command button in my form that invokes the script.  When I click the command button, however, I get a totally blank draft email (not yet sent as intended) except for the "From" line which contains my email address which, of course is what I want.  Other than that there is nothing in the email - no addressee, no message, no subject, no attachment.

I have been sending emails from within Filemaker for a long time NOT using a script but, instead, just the File/Send/Mail/ menu commands that result in exactly the same "Specify" dialog as constructing and editing scripts does.  It works perfectly.

The reason I want to do the same thing but with a script is so that I can have a chance to edit the emails before they are actually sent just so I can add a "mail signature" (logo) at the end of the end of the text.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Construct a simple database with just a message field, and email value field and then constructed a script to "Send Mail" using the specify command button as I described above and do NOT check the "Perform without dialog" option.  Then place a command button on an input form to run the script.  Exit layout mode and try it.  Again, I'm using a MacBook Pro with an OS X 10.9.2 operating system and FileMaker Pro 13.0v1

Expected result

An email addressed to the email address, message, subject line, and attachment specified in the "Specify" dialog.

Actual result

It won't work.  It will produce a totally blank email except for the From: line totally ignoring everything you specified when constructing the script.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message appears

Configuration information

I've specified all that above

Workaround

I have found no workarounds

SpecifyDialog.png

• 1. Re: Send Mail Script Not Working
          TSGal

Steven Haley:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done.

1. On my Mac OS X 10.9.2 machine, I launched Mail, pulled down the Mail menu and selected "About Mail".  This shows Version 7.2 (1874).

2. Under the Mail menu, I selected "Preferences...".  I clicked the General icon, and made sure "Mail" was set as the Default email reader.

3. I launched FileMaker Pro 13.0v1, created a database file named PresentersEtc.fmp12, and created two Text fields: E_mail_Value_ and Message

4. I entered information into both fields.

5. I created a button on the layout identical to your settings, except I attached the fm13_webdirect_guide.pdf.

6. Returning to Browse mode, I clicked the button and I get an email draft with everything entered including the PDF attachment, ready to send.

Does this only occur with this file?  That is, if you create another file with similar fields, does it work?

Try creating a new button with first just Send Mail - no other information.  Then modify the button to set the To: part to the field and test it out.  Then, add the Subject and test.  Then add the Message and test.  Finally, add the attachment and test.

Do you have any other applications open?  If so, temporarily quit them all and try again.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in replicating the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Send Mail Script Not Working
            StevenHaley

Thank you for your response to my post.  I followed everything you said but one thing.  I wasn't sure what you were saying when you said you created the button exactly as I had, "...except I attached the fm13_webdirect_guide.pdf".  I am still very much learning FileMaker and don't know to what you are referring there.  I went to my form, entered Layout Mode and looked at the settings for my button, saw that it was set up to run a script called FM_Mall which was my intent, and didn't see any thing about attaching it to something called "fm13_webdirect_guide.pdf".  Could you elaborate on what you were referring to here? 

Thanks

Steve

• 3. Re: Send Mail Script Not Working
              TSGal

Steven Haley:

You first said, "I constructed a script just using 'Send Mail'.  In the next paragraph, you said, "I then placed a command button in my form that invokes the script.

This is the exact steps I took, and that is the button I created, which I assumed was exactly like yours.  Your attachment in your screen shot shows "Bio-Tour Info.pdf".  Since I don't have your file, I attached my own PDF file which was downloaded from our Product Documentation Center at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/documentation.html

Let me know if you want me to clarify further.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Send Mail Script Not Working
                StevenHaley

I figured out what the problem was.  When first constructing the script (or when editing it) there is a "Specify" command button that takes you to the same dialog box that sending mail "manually" out of Filemaker brings up.  This is the dialog where you specify to what email address it is to be sent, the message to be sent, etc.

When I constructed the script and clicked the "Specify" command button I found all the information I wanted to enter already entered into the dialog so I just exited.  It was already there because I have been sending mail out from within FileMaker for some time "manually" (File/Send/Send Email, etc.) and had made those entries.  The script itself actually seemed to reflect what was already entered in that dialog but apparently it really wasn't.  For some reason it occurred to me to try going into that "Specify" dialog, erasing everything, exiting out of the "Specify" dialog, going back in, and re-entering everything.  It worked.