7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 5:21 AM by scoonz

Send Mail script step 'needed files' missing.

CatjaPafort

Summary

Send Mail script step 'needed files' missing.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM Pro Advanced 13.0v3

Operating system version

OS X 10.9.4

Description of the issue

When I use the 'send mail' script step, it responds with

'Some of the Files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed. Please run the installer to correct this problem'.

(Most helpful error message ever. Not. 'some of the files that are needed' tells me absolutely utterly nothing. I *have* reinstalled the software, and I get exactly the same error message as before.)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use 'send mail' script step. I've used it with a file that worked perfectly fine in earlier Filemaker versions (7-10); I've set it up with a new file: the error is the same.

Expected result

My default e-mail client (Postbox) should be called up and the relevant fields (To:, Subject:, message body) should be pre-filled.

Actual result

I get the error message quoted elsewhere. Nothing else happens.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

'Some of the Files that are needed are either damaged or have not been installed. Please run the installer to correct this problem'.

Configuration information

I have a default e-mail client set up (Postbox); if I use a mailto: link or any other application that has a 'send an e-mail' function, my e-mail client gets called up and the appropriate fields prepopulated. This clearly is a Filemaker problem.

Workaround

Copy and Paste like it's 1999.

Screen_Shot_2014-10-02_at_22.49.12.png

• 1. Re: Send Mail script step 'needed files' missing.
          philmodjunk

Quoting from FileMaker help in the entry for Send Mail:

to send mail through an email application, you must have the following configurations.

Windows:

•

A [Mail] section in the Win.ini file.

•

Microsoft Exchange or Microsoft Outlook installed and configured properly.

OS X:

•

OS X Mail or Microsoft Outlook installed to send email with FileMaker Pro.

•

Internet system preferences configured for use with one of the supported mail applications.

Notably absent is any reference to an email application named "postbox" and this suggests that your email client program may not be compatible with FileMaker.

• 2. Re: Send Mail script step 'needed files' missing.
            CatjaPafort

I was looking for this information, but could not find it, and the help message is the opposite of helpful. (Under no circumstances would re-running the installer help with this!) 

What is happenening is that Filemaker is not compatible with standard protocols. Which, from my point of view, is pretty disastrous, as I now have to tell a potential client - a client interested in installing a fairly extensive setup - that basic functionality - the ability to send e-mail from a Filemaker solution - is not available unless they force every single staff member and every single contractor to set up their machines in a Filemaker-approved configuration. Which isn't going to happen. 

So this 'upgrade' to FM Pro 13 is functionally proving to be a downgrade (in the past, Filemaker only cared that a default e-mail client was installed; that was easy enough to resolve) and something I had considered to be basic functionality is not available to me.

This also means that I cannot sell standalone solutions to clients which rely on the ability to send mail. 

It also means that it has suddenly become very difficult to recommend Filemaker to clients. 

• 3. Re: Send Mail script step 'needed files' missing.
              philmodjunk

The alternative is to use an SMTP mail server and then your clients do not have to change to a different email client.

• 4. Re: Send Mail script step 'needed files' missing.
                CatjaPafort

Using an SMTP server means that a) you cannot review the e-mail before sending and b) it will not show up in the 'sent' e-mail folder, and thus will disrupt the workflow. This is acceptable when you're sending out mass mailings, but not for more individual customer contact. 

The thing that annoys me most is that this is functionality that a) I consider very basic, and b) which Filemaker used to have for years and over many versions. (I've used it with a number of e-mail clients). 

The 'easiest' solution - and I am putting that in quotes for good reasons - is to construct an HTML file with a mailto: link shown in a web viewer because that at least gives me the functionality I need - I construct the e-mail, and when the user clicks the link, it opens in their default e-mail client, whatever that might be; and if it doesn't, it will be easy enough to troubleshoot, and that doesn't solve the problem of attachments. 

From a professional database, I expect better. 

• 5. Re: Send Mail script step 'needed files' missing.
                  philmodjunk

Please note that I am a fellow user of the product offering assistance. I do not work for or represent FileMaker Inc.

a) you cannot review the e-mail before sending

There are ways to review each email before sending when using an SMTP mail server. This can be done with FileMaker rather than the email client that you would not be using.

There are also plug ins available that offer more email options than what is possible with FileMaker Send Mail.

• 6. Re: Send Mail script step 'needed files' missing.
                    philmodjunk

And if you use FileMaker to review emails before sending, you can keep them in a table to replicate the "sent" function of an email client. Granted, this will be a separate list from that produced by your email program so this may still not be an acceptable option.

• 7. Re: Send Mail script step 'needed files' missing.
                      scoonz

I have had the same message box appear when testing the email functionality. I'm using OS X 10.10.2 and Filemaker Pro Advanced 13.0v5. I most use the Mailbox app even though it's in beta. 

To resolve the issue I found in Apple's Mail app under menu:

Mail > Preferences > General

The heading "Default email reader" should be set to "Mail". Previously this was set to Mailbox

Image attached to demonstrate.