Summary

Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Description of the issue

I have a button that performs a send mail script. It inserts an email address from a field name and a subject. When I click the button, a new email is opened and the To and Subject lines are populated, but the following error appears:

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "Switch To" To activate the busy program and correct the problem

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2010 as default email client.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Setup button that does a send email script step with an email and subject. click button.

Expected result

Able to send email without error

Actual result

Error:

This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "Switch To" To activate the busy program and correct the problem

I am then unable to do anything on my computer, causing me to have to reboot.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Configuration information

Microsoft Outlook 2010

Workaround

none

error.png

• 1. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
          TSGal

Matt Leach:

Thank you for your post.

One of our Support Technicians who is handling the TechNet postings has informed me about this post.

The information from your post here as well as the entries in the TechNet post have been submitted to our Testing and Development departments for review.  When any feedback or information becomes available, I will post here.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
            DanWoodruff

Has there been any response?

Since I have loaded Filemaker 13 advanced I get the same error everytime i try to run an email script.

It wont even allow me to add an address it goes right into the error "server Busy" then I have to ctr-alt-delete and kill Filemaker and outlook. I have no problem with machines running Filemaker 12

• 3. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
              TSGal

Dan Woodruff:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, our Testing department has been unable to replicate the issue.  It is still under investigation.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                user18013

I'm waiting for the same reason to lance filemaker 13.

I'll hope there will be an answer soon.

If You need info you can contact me

Regards Leo

• 5. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                  aklobby

I managed to get my hands on a windows 8 computer and found that I was able to create the same Server Busy error that my clients were getting when trying to send with the email client (outlook and the Windows 8 mail were set up on that computer). Part of the problem could be that the email that comes with the Windows 8 computers does not seem to be compatible with FileMaker and installing other email clients is a bit tricky (at least for this Mac user). 

The best workaround I have found is to send from  SMTP instead of the Email Client. I created a layout that has email components and set variables into the SMTP settings so that different users could put in their own email and password. This seems to be working so far, so good. 

Allison

• 6. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                    user18013

Thanks for your post Allison.

But unfortunatly I'm getting the same error on my windows 7 64 bit machines after setting the mail send from SMTP and not from the Email client.

Leo

• 7. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                      bob@ogradypaving.com

Well you can add me to the list as well.  Everything was fine while running Filemaker 12 but when we converted over to Filemaker 13 running Windows 7 Ultimate with Outlook 2010 we get the same error. It's only on one out of 20 machines that we have the issue with. I reformatted the computer and re-installed Outlook 2010 and we still get the error.  All the other machines running Outlook 2010 are Windows 7 Pro except for this one computer running Windows 7 Ultimate.  I can revert back to Filemaker 1 hand it runs fine. 

• 8. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                        TSGal

Leo Van Zeijl and Robert S Taylor:

Thank you for your posts.

I have attached your posts to the original report.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                          MelissaShively

I am having the same issue. 

Attached is the script step I'm running.  I've used it successfully since FileMaker 9.  I'm now on Pro 13 and Advanced pro 13 with Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1, Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 16G RAM. I only have Pro 13 on 2 computers and both have the same issue using Office Professional Plus 2013 - Outlook 2013 15.0.4551.1004 MSO 15.0.4551.1005 64 bit.  My outlook didn't change between it working in advanced/Pro 12 and not working in advanced/pro 13.

I run the script and when the email opens I get the same error as Matt.

Not matter what you click it kills FM and I cannot get email responses out on behalf of my customer service team (I'm running around 50-100 emails a day using this system).   If it would help, I'm happy to have someone view my screen with me or I can send more of my script.

• 10. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                            TSGal

Melissa Shively:

Thank you for your post.

I have also forwarded your post to our Development and Testing departments for additional review.  I'll keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                              AdamSharp

This problem relates to a process called "FIXMAPI 1.0 MAPI Repair Tool" which FM13 seems to launch when sending through Outlook.  If I kill the process, it will allow me to continue, but will not allow the email to send (i can only cancel).  However, If I hit the send button quick enough (prior to the Server Busy window) it sends successfully.

• 12. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                                wjwerner1

[re-posting to original topic... blush]

We have the same issue in our environment: Server Busy... locks up the both Outlook and FileMaker Pro 13.

I believe the problem is with the MAPI API handler call -- from 32bit FMPro to the 64bit version of Outlook 2010 (as part of Office Pro Plus 64bit install).

I have found that I have almost 7 seconds to respond to the process before the Server Busy error corrupts the process.

In that Time (7 seconds ) I was able to save as a Draft (Ctrl+S) AND then close the current email message window.  I could then go back to FileMaker without error  and again back to the Drafts folder without error.

Another test I did was set up another 32bit email client, then set windows7 default Mapi to the other mail client -- no errors, no timeout after 7 seconds.  This, however, is not a workable solution for our installation environment, and I will not be able to roll out FMP13 to my end-users until it works with Outlook as the default email /mapi handler as a 64-bit.

Oddly, I still do not have this issue with FMP12 and Outlook 2010 64bit...

• 13. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                                  TSGal

All:

Is everyone using the 64-bit version of Outlook?  This may be the key.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Send Mail using Outlook 2010 Error
                                    MattLeach

Yes, I am using the 64bit version of office 2010

1 2 3 Previous Next