3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 2:20 PM by TSGal

Send Mail via SMTP Hang/Crash/Spinning Beach Ball

Jason Wood

Summary

Send Mail via SMTP Hang/Crash/Spinning Beach Ball

Description of the issue

Using FMP 10.0v3.I am primarily using 10.5.8 (leopard), and tested once on a 10.6.1 Snow Leopard machine to confirm the problem was there too. I usually get the Spinning Beach Ball (crash / hang) when I try to use the Send Mail via SMTP feature. If I run a simple test script, with only that script step, immediately after opening the file, it works, and will work repeatedly. But as part of a larger script, or at ANY point AFTER a larger script has run, it crashes (usually). Narrowing down the problem is proving highly elusive! The problem does not seem to begin after any particular type of script step has run. I spent all night trying to track this down. Sometimes it just starts working, no matter what I do (until reopening FMP and then running a complex script), making the troubleshooting difficult! I have everything hard-coded into the SMTP script step... so there's no reason it should perform differently in different circumstances. I tried deleting the script and starting fresh. In another thread, a user has reported the same problem but identified different circumstances (I believe that user saw the problem only on snow leopard), but the symptom is identical. It is probably the same problem... it's just that the circumstances are so difficult to pinpoint.http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&message.id=3680  Before I go to the effort of trying to reproduce this in a new file (I am getting REALLY sick of trying to figure this out!), can someone tell me if FM is already onto this problem? 

• 1. Re: Send Mail via SMTP Hang/Crash/Spinning Beach Ball
          TSGal

jasonwood:

Thank you for your post.

We have seen a number of inconsistencies with Send Mail using SMTP.  For a majority of servers, it works fine.  For a select few (Gmail is one), sporadic sending or names not encoded occur.

Are you using authentication when sending?  Is there anything non-standard with  your set up?  Are you able to send test messages to yourself consistently?  Is there a queue on your server that may be overflowing?  Do you use any error capture in your script?  If so, can you tell me anything about the record (and the record before) processing halts?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in finding the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Send Mail via SMTP Hang/Crash/Spinning Beach Ball
            Jason Wood

Yes, I am using authentication, and yes, I am using gmail.

I have only tried sending messages to myself, and I have not got this to work consistently. Even a simple 1-line script with all options hard-coded crashes FileMaker often. It seems to always work when the file is first opened, but if I execute enough seemingly innocuous script steps, the next time I run the send mail script, it's bound to crash. 

I have not tried error capture, but I don't see how that would help since FileMaker crashes on execution of the script step...

I do know that the crash occurs BEFORE authentication takes place because if I set an incorrect password, it still crashes as often as it usually crashes, (and when it doesn't, obviously I get an authentication error).

Would it be helpful for me to give you the crash report that Mac OS X generates?

• 3. Re: Send Mail via SMTP Hang/Crash/Spinning Beach Ball
              TSGal

jasonwood:

Many issues have been reported using gmail mail server.  FileMaker crashing is not one of the symptoms.  It sends the information to gmail, and information is returned whether it is successful or not (error code 1506 is a common error).  If sending emails to yourself is inconsistent, then there is something between FileMaker sending the information to gmail and receiving a response.  When you send these emails to yourself, is it via a script?  If so, does the first email send properly?  Could it be a queue of emails backing up?  Have you tried pausing the script for five seconds between each email?  Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

Yes, you can post the crash report here.  It may be helpful in determining what gmail is sending back to make FileMaker Pro crash.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.