Summary

Send Mail with smtp option does not send the email

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.6

Description of the issue

When I use the Send Mail script step with the smtp option more often that not error 1506 is returned. I am quite certain that the smtp setting I use are correct as the email is successfully sent on occasion.

I do not use a Name and in the To: field I use an email address only which is from a field in my database.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Email(s) could not be sent successfully

• 1. Re: Send Mail with smtp option does not send the email
          TSGal

Garry Kirwan:

Thank you for your post.

A 1506 error code is an unknown error.  Since this happens occasionally, do you notice anything about those records that fail from the ones that are sent successfully?  Do they have any special characters in the email address?  Can you tell me more about your mail server?

There have been a few reports regarding gmail failing inconsistently, so let me know if you are attempting to use gmail.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Send Mail with smtp option does not send the email
            user12141

Thank you TSGal,

The To: email address is the same every time as is the From: email address. The body of he email is also the same each time. The emails are being sent by a script that is called by a Server Scheduled script daily at the exact same time.

I use the smtp server as supplied to us by our ISP and I have already confirmed the settings with them. They have also conformed that at the exact time the emails should be sent that nothing is reaching the smtp server. This tells me that FileMaker is not sending the email at all. There is nothing in the smtp server log to suggest it got there and was rejected for one reason or another.

This is a most frustrating problem and I would love any information that might help me resolve it.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Send Mail with smtp option does not send the email
              TSGal

Garry Kirwan:

Thanks for the additional information.

If there is nothing in the SMTP server log, that means nothing reached the SMTP server; not that FileMaker didn't send the email.  To verify this, use another table and inside the script, insert the scripts steps to switch to this table, add a record, and enter the date and time.  This way, you'll see FileMaker attempt to send the mail.  If nothing is logged at the mail server, then something is stopping the connection between FileMaker and the mail server.

Since you are running a Server side script, does this usually occur when other clients are accessing the same file?  Is there anything else you can tell me about the times when this fails?  Once it fails, do all other attempts also fail?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.