2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 2:29 PM by ericaconway

    SERIOUS ERROR when importing updating matching records in found set,

    ericaconway

      Summary

      SERIOUS ERROR when importing updating matching records in found set,

      Description of the issue

      Today I attempted to import records from .xls into FMP Server 8.5.  I set it up to update matching records in found set, add remaining data as new records.  I used the email address as my matching field and requested to update 4 other fields.  The result was elimination of many existing records, inconsistent omission of data in selected fields and elimination of data in existing but unselected fields. Example:  In master DB I have a guy named Matt Kunz, email addy: mkunz@gmail.com  In the data I imported, his email address was mkunz@uwm.edu, first name, last name etc.  My expectation was that I'd be able to search for Matt Kunz or any other person, and if a matching email didn't exist, they'd now have two records, the original and the new data associated with the unmatching email address.  INSTEAD, when I search for Matt Kunz all I get is one record with his imported email address and data.  HELP!!  I can send you the screen shot of what my import screen looks like, I did it right and I made copies of the DB and was able to duplicate the error.  

        • 1. Re: SERIOUS ERROR when importing updating matching records in found set,
          philmodjunk
            

          This doesn't sound like an error. It sounds like FMP did what it was designed to do. It's just not what you expected it to do.

           

          When you specify the matching fields option, a powerful but dangerous option, and match on the name field, a row in your xls file with exactly the same name will overwrite all other specified fields with the data from that iimported row. This is what filemaker is designed to do.

           

          In your case, you'll need to set up a more sophisticated import that enables you to append new records when the name is the same but the email address is different.

           

          I'd suggest importing into a separate table and then using a script to analyze each record and correctly update or append the data as fits your needs.

          • 2. Re: SERIOUS ERROR when importing updating matching records in found set,
            ericaconway
              

             

            I agree with you.  I asked it to match the email field.  Import field=existing field.  If there was a match, I wanted it to overwrite the fields I specified upon import (with arrows), and if there was NOT a match I wanted it to create a new record.

             

            Turns out it was a data integrity issue (MY error in not better sorting and omitting records with missing data before importing.)

             

            Thanks! User error reigns again.