0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2009 3:06 PM by charrois

Serious Filemaker/SQL stability problem

charrois

Summary

Serious Filemaker/SQL stability problem

Description of the issue

Hi there.  We're currently running FileMaker Server 9.0.3.325 on Mac OS X Server 10.5.5 and FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 on Mac OS X 10.5.6 and have just recently begun to explore connecting our FileMaker database to an external MySQL source using ODBC Administrator on the server.  I'm not sure if it's relevant to the problem, but our SQL connection is made via SSL (configured with MySQL Connector/ODBC 5.01.0005, listed as MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver in the System DSN list).  We also have things configured so the user on the client side has to provide the SQL username and password to connect rather than connecting automatically. It "generally" works.  When things are happy, we're able to browse, edit, add, and find external SQL data, which is exactly what we'd want.  But fairly frequently (particularly for some reason often when doing searches, and sometimes sorts), FileMaker server crashes.  The FileMaker client gets an "unexpected disconnection" message, and we have to go to the server and restart it.  FileMaker server is phenomenally stable when just dealing with FileMaker data, but for some reason, it really doesn't like dealing with the SQL connection.  When it crashes, nothing is written to the Event.log file - it just stops running.  The first items recorded to the log file after a crash are just when we start it back up again (which of course complains about some databases not being closed properly, and has to perform a consistency check). I presume things are configured right, or I wouldn't be able to see or modify my SQL data at all.  But these crashes happen too frequently (probably about 25% of the time a find is performed) for this connection to be a viable solution. Any suggestions on what I might try to fix the problem, or steps I can try to help isolate it?  I'm very surprised that FileMaker Server though otherwise stable is so *un*stable when dealing with the SQL connection. Dan