1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 3:26 AM by CraigStevenson

Serious Handle Leak on Find

CraigStevenson

Summary

Serious Handle Leak on Find

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v3

Operating system version

Server 2003

Description of the issue

When executing a "Find", FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 exhibits a serious handle leak.  (Along with leaking User and GDI objects.)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Set up task manager to monitor Handles, User Objects, and GDI Objects.  Open FileMaker and note the number of Handles, User Objects, and GDI Objects.  Execute a "Find" on the database.  (We are using a custom layout.)

Expected result

Handles, User Objects, and GDI Objects should return to the values prior to the Find.

Actual result

Handles, User Objects and GDI Objects do NOT return to their prior values.  All values increase, especially Handles.  After running for a long time, FileMaker Pro becomes unstable, requiring a restart of the program at minimum, and normally a system restart to restore normal behavior.

• 1. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
          CraigStevenson

We continue to have this problem, and as our database has increased in size it has become more and more problematic.  (We are now having to restart Filemaker every day or two.)  It's been 4 months since my original post, with no response.

• 2. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
            CraigStevenson

It has now been 8 months since my original trouble report.  The problem persists.  No response.  This is support?

• 3. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
              TSGal

Craig Stevenson:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.  This would have remained unnoticed if it wasn't for a private message from PhilModJunk.

Since you originally posted, FileMaker Server 11.0v5 has been released.  Please install this version to see if the problem persists.  You can find the update via Knowledge Base Article #11058 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11058

Let me know the results from your machine.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                CraigStevenson

TSGal,

Glad to finally have someone take a look at this.  Unfortunately, the handle leak is on the client side, so a server update won't help.

Craig

• 5. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                  TSGal

Craig Stevenson:

My apologies.  I saw the initial post, noticed the operating system as Server 2003, and since I have never encountered a customer running FileMaker Pro under Server 2003, I assumed it was FileMaker Server related.  I don't see Server 2003 as a supported operating system, but I have sent your details to our Testing and Development departments for review.  I'll keep you posted.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                    TSGal

Craig Stevenson:

Our Testers are unable to reproduce the problem using FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 under Windows 7.  Are you able to reproduce the problem on any required system like Windows XP?  Vista?  Windows 7?  If so, they would like to see your file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                      CraigStevenson

TSGal,

Unfortunately, our entire environment is running on Server 2003.  (Although 2003 is as close to XP as you can get.)  I did do a quick test, and the handle leak is not nearly as noticeable on a small database.  I was able to quickly reproduce the issue on our main database, which is huge, but I was not able to say for sure whether there was an actual handle leak on a small database.  That would indicate that the problem is affected by the number of controls on the layout, the number of fields, or the size of the database itself.  Due to security issues, I can't send you our database.  My only suggestion for your testers is to use the largest database they can find.  (The more controls, fields, and calculated fields, etc., the better.)

If your testers still can't reproduce this, I'll have to wait until we move to a different platform, although that's likely to be Server 2008, which probably still won't qualify as a supported operating system...

Craig

• 8. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                        TSGal

Craig Stevenson:

Your information has been sent back to our testers.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                          TSGal

Craig Stevenson:

Our testers tried this on a 250 MB file under Windows XP, FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 and FileMaker Pro 12.0v4.  Performing multiple Finds.  Also tried under Windows 7.  No leak found in either case.

They did not test this on Windows Server 2003 since this is not a supported environment.

Please let us know if you are able to replicate the issue under a supported environment.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                            CraigStevenson

TSGal,

I just did a scratch FileMaker installation on a Windows XP system.  (No RDP.)  With no database loaded, FileMaker consumes 427 Handles, 145 User Objects, and 165 GDI Objects.  After loading my database, those values rise to 541, 265, and 384 respectively.  After four finds, the values rise to 663, 382, and 510.  Clearly, there is a fairly major leak in all areas.  XP is a supported operating system.

The more I think about this, I think it might have something to do with the clipboard problems I've reported elsewhere.  Perhaps there aren't enough handles to take care of clipboard requests.  That would certainly upset the clipboard chain.

Craig

• 11. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                              CraigStevenson

TSGal,

I just checked with one of my FileMaker users, and the numbers on two of her systems are as follows:

3027 handles, 1182 user objects, and 659 GDI objects, on a system that has been running for only 1.5 days.  (This system does LOTS of finds...)

1037 handles, 750 user objects, and 1395 GDI objects, on a system that has 7 small databases open, but has run for a long time.  (Very few finds...)

Granted, these two systems are Server 2003, so you can dismiss this as an unsupported operating system, but this is consistent with my testing on XP.

Craig

• 12. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                                TSGal

Craig Stevenson:

I found a larger file (3.46 GB, 8,301,440 records) that I've been working with, and I'm still unable to get the numbers you get.  Here is what I have:

With Windows loaded, I have 11004 handles, 536 threads and 49 processes.  After FileMaker Pro 12.0v4 launches, I have 12556 handles, 614 threads and 52 processes.  I then open the database file and it now shows 12478 handles, 610 threads and 51 processes (I don't know why it droopped).  Finally, I have performed some 50+ finds over the last 15 minutes, and I now have 12395 handles, 602 threads and 51 processes.  I'll continue to work with the file the rest of the daym, including copying and pasting.

Do you have any third-party plug-ins installed?

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                                  CraigStevenson

TSGal,

You aren't monitoring Handles, GDI objects and User objects correctly.  My original trouble report was designed for the programmers who designed the software, since they should know about these things.  I'll see if I can explain it better.  These instructions are based on the Windows XP Task Manager:

Open task manager.  By default, it opens on the Performance tab.  Here you can see Handles, Threads, and Processes.  However, these values are system-wide, and are almost useless for troubleshooting problems with individual programs.  Click on the Processes tab.  Here you will see the various programs (processes) that are running on the system, listed under Image Name.  By default, this page does NOT include information on Handles, GDI Objects, or User Objects, so they have to be added.  Click on View, Select Columns.  Check the Handles, USER Objects, and GDI Objects check boxes, and click OK.  Now, you can see the Handle, User Objects, and GDI Objects counts for EACH process.  Find the FileMaker Pro.exe process, and scroll to the right far enough to see the new columns.  (Or widen the entire box.)  At this point, launch FileMaker, make a note of the values on the FileMaker Pro.exe row, load a database and make a note of the values.  Then, do a bunch of Finds and note the values.  If they consistently go up, that's a leak.

I do not have any third-party plug-ins installed.

Craig

• 14. Re: Serious Handle Leak on Find
                                    TSGal

Craig Stevenson:

Thanks for the additional information.  Here are my specific results:

With FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 launched, I show 448 handles, 118 USER Objects and 138 GDI Objects.

With the database loaded, 463 handles, 240 USER Objects and 307 GDI Objects.

After 10 separate finds: 466 handles, 251 USER Objects and 336 GDI Objects.

After 20 finds: 473 handles, 252 USER Objects and 336 GDI Objects

I then searched on a non-index text field.  The field indexed over the next 14 minutes (8,000,000+ records), and Task Manager during this time showed 472 handles, 259 USER Objects and 338 GDI Objects.

When the indexing finished and showed me my new found set...  468 handles, 251 USER Objects and 336 GDI Objects.

After another 50+ finds over another 10 minutes, 470 handles, 251 USER Objects and 337 GDI Objects.

After opening another file and performing a find, 515 handles, 341 USER Objects and 437 GDI Objects.

After opening a third file, 610 handles, 436 USER Objects and 520 GDI Objects.

Immediately after closing the two additional files, 607 handles, 285 USER Objects and 416 GDI Objects

Opening another file, 629 handles, 363 USER Objects and 479 GDI Objects

Closing that file, 613 handles, 288 USER Objects and 414 GDI Objects

I then performed 100 finds.  At the end, 620 handles, 288 USER Objects and 416 GDI Objects

Although I do see an increase when other files are opened, I do not see the increases you are encountering.  Is there anything else you would like me to try?

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next