Summary

Server 12 cannot display container files

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 Enterprise

Description of the issue

First, this solution works as a stand-alone file on my desktop.  Yet, when I upload it to the server it does not.  I have a container field that holds a PDF.  I have a layout that has the container field on it.  When I open the layout FileMaker churns for 30+ seconds then comes back with a message in the container field "This program cannot display the webpage."

I know the PDF is there because I can "export field contents" to a file on my desktop and view it.  This isn't a work-around because the solution is server hosted and PC environment variables (%username% or %userprofile%) don't seem to work.  Therefore, I can't create a temporary file on the user's computer to view the file...

Steps to reproduce the problem

Happens all the time.  The container field does not display the PDF - just an error message.

Expected result

Display the PDF in the container field.

Actual result

Error Message - see screenshot

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"This program cannot display the webpage."

Configuration information

None.

Workaround

None.

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Server 12 cannot display container files
          james_quiggins

Hello Roger McCormick:

Thank you for posting.

I am unable to replicate on my Windows 7 machine.  I created a database with a container and placed the FileMaker 12 users guide into it. I am able to display it locally and hosted by FileMaker Server Advanced. I would like to gather some further information from you before attempting to replicate again.

Are you hosting with FileMaker Server or Server Advanced?

What OS is hosting and what OS is the client?

What PDF reader and version do you have installed on the client?

Is the file stored as a reference?

Are you storing container data locally or externally?

Are you using interactive containers?

Does it work with interactive container enabled?

Are you able to replicate in a new sample database?

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 2. Re: Server 12 cannot display container files
            roger.mccormick@colorado.edu

Hi TSwildcat,

Thanks for your response.  My answers are below.

Are you hosting with FileMaker Server or Server Advanced?  Server Advanced.

What OS is hosting and what OS is the client?  Windows 7 Enterprise for both.

What PDF reader and version do you have installed on the client? Acrobat Reader 10.1.3

Is the file stored as a reference? No.  I've tried both drag and drop and right click > insert PDF...

Are you storing container data locally or externally? I've tried it both ways (also tried both open and secure)

Are you using interactive containers? Yes, Optimize for "Interactive Content" radio button selected in object inspector.

Does it work with interactive container enabled? Where is this setting?  If you mean the "start playback immediately" box checked, I've tried it both ways.

Are you able to replicate in a new sample database? Yes

• 3. Re: Server 12 cannot display container files
              james_quiggins

Hello Boulder Mack:

Thank you for posting.

First, I apologize for the delayed response.

Second, can you check to see if port 16000 is open on the FileMaker Server machine? This port is used to progressively download content for FileMaker Pro/Web clients.

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 4. Re: Server 12 cannot display container files
                roger.mccormick@colorado.edu

Hi TSwildcat,

Thanks for your response.  I had to create a separate rule for the inbound port 16000 (both UDP and TCP) on the server, but it works now.  It's odd that the existing "FileMaker Server" rules with their "All Ports" option selected didn't work.

Many thanks for steering me in the right direction.