Summary

Server 12 still appearing on clients after uninstall

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS 6

Description of the issue

After migrating our server to a new mini Mac, I wanted to use the old mini Mac as a FM client.  I found out the hard way that I had to uninstall FM server on the old mini, otherwise the server on the new mini shut itself off, complaining about a license conflict.  I had not started the server on the old mini, but it had started itself, and shut down our company that was running on the new server.  My problem now is that, even after using the server installation's uninstall utility, the server is still appearing on clients.  It is not serving any files, but I don't want it appearing on the list of servers.  Any way to get rid of it?

• 1. Re: Server 12 still appearing on clients after uninstall
          james_quiggins

Hello David Graham:

Thank you for posting.

If possible, can you open activity monitor on the old Mac Mini and verify that none of the FileMaker Server processes are running. The path for Activity Monitor is Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor. 

In Activity Monitor you should be able to show all processes and filter by "fm" to get the FileMaker Server processes. If no processes are present, reboot the old Mac mini and also power cycle your router. Once the mini is back running verify that no FileMaker Server processes started back up.

If you do see processes running in Activity Monitor, you will want to run the uninstaller included in the FileMaker Server installer again after stopping the processes. 

Let me know if you have any further issues. 

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc. 

• 2. Re: Server 12 still appearing on clients after uninstall
            user17265

There are no “fm” processes appearing in activity monitor. I looked there before when the server was still installed, not running butstill causing trouble, and I couldn’t see anything I recognized as filemaker related either, but I may have missed an fm hiding in there somewhere.

Both minis have had their power cycled, but I did it again on the serverless mini, and it looks like that did the trick – it is not appearing
            on the list of servers.  Hopefully its ghost is really gone <g>.

Thanks