1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 10:41 PM by Markus Schneider

SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop

scottworld

Summary

SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Server 13.0.2.295

Operating system version

OS X 10.9.4

Description of the issue

FileMaker Server 13 is probably the buggiest piece of server software that we have ever used from FileMaker Inc. On top of all the other still-unresolved issues that we have reported over the last several months, here is the latest reproducible problem:

We are TRYING to stop FileMaker Server on the "Status" screen using the On/Off slider button. We choose "off", we tell it to shut down in 0 minutes (or 1 minute or 2 minutes), and then FileMaker Server proceeds to do… ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

The on/off slider button "grays out" like it is in the process of shutting down, but you can wait forever and nothing happens. All the fmserver processes are still running in Activity Monitor. They never quit. FileMaker Server never stops its processes.

The green checkmark still appears on the "status" screen, but the On/Off slider button is dimmed. If you log out of the interface and log back in again, the green checkmark is still there, and now the On/Off slider button is back in the "On" position again.

Very annoying! No way to stop FileMaker Server!!

Can you please fix ASAP?

Until this is fixed, we have no reliable way to stop our FileMaker Server from running!

Thank you.

• 1. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
          scottworld

To solve the problem above, I had to restart the entire server machine by pulling down from the Apple Menu to "Restart". After the restart, I went back into the FileMaker Server 13 interface and I was able to stop the FileMaker Server from running.

However, this is where yet another problem crops up with FileMaker Server 13 (which I have reported before), which is that the FileMaker Server 13 interface doesn't refresh properly in Safari on OS X 10.9.2.

After I WAS able to stop the FileMaker Server from running, the top of the "status" page in the FileMaker Server 13 interface showed the On/Off slider button in the "Off" position, BUT RIGHT BELOW THAT, it showed that our database was still being actively hosted. This isn't true at all, because the fmserver process was no longer running. Nothing was being hosted. So, in order to fix THIS problem with the interface not updating properly, we had to Log Out and then Log back into the FileMaker Server interface again.

Would be really great for some FMI engineers to spend some time fixing all of these FileMaker Server 13 issues!

• 2. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
            RickWhitelaw

I've had occasion to stop FMS to install updates and have never encountered this issue. When I close all files they close. When I turn off server precesses they get turned off. However, regarding restarting, you may have FMS set to automatically start upon restart of the machine. I use this in tandem with "automatically restart after power failure" since I am so often away from the server location. Worth checking out . . .

• 3. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
              Markus Schneider

I've reported that problem more than once:

FMS13 Administration becomes unavailable after some weeks of usage. The admin-thing may show wrong information or might be unavailable.

FMS13 is still running without problems, people can connect to the db, schedules are working, etc. But I can't use the admin-thing. Sometimes, the fmsadmin commands won't work as well - so there is no chance to close db's and stop the server )-:

Restarting the machine solves this issue. I first thought that it is a Mac-only issue - but recently a windows user had the same problem. FMI was never able to reproduce - maybe because it happens only after a longer time of usage.

Since FileMaker won't tell all the details in the release notes of a patch, I'm unsure if this issue is known - and solved in one of the patches. So, maybe solved in the latest version of FMS13..

• 4. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
                FrankMillner

Same here:

A few days ago we stopped our FMS13 to load additional files (we put them directly in the folder). We were able to restart FMS13. After working a few hours with the new files we decided to remove them: FMS13 can not be stopped. We had to restart the Mac. After the Mac OS X restart FMS Admin worked again

Today, only 2 days we stopped it again to replace some other files and could not start FMS again. We had to do another restart to get FMS Admin working again.

2 restarts of the whole machine, only to administrate the FileMaker Server 13 in a few days!

• 5. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
                  scottworld

FileMaker Server 13 is so horribly unstable, it's a disgrace of a product. Who knows how much corruption it has caused to our highly important files. Yet nobody at FMI even seems to be taking these issues seriously. We don't even have any bug fixes from them, or even any announcements that they're looking into these issues. The FMI Engineers should be focusing all their attention on the MULTITUDES of problems with FileMaker Server 13. The whole situation is a nightmare, and nobody at FMI even cares. You would think that they would throw some financial resources at these problems, being a subsidiary of Apple and all. But nothing.

• 6. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop

@All:

Thank you for the post and replies. 

To restart FileMaker Server 13's processes without restarting the computer, use the following commands in Terminal.app:

sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms

sudo launchctl start com.filemaker.fms

The first command will stop all the FileMaker Server processes and the second command will start the processes. 

@scotty321:

I am not able to reproduce the processes not stopping when "using the On/Off slider button."

Pressing that button while watching the Activity Monitor.app on Mac OS X Mavericks and Mountain Lion stops the following processes:

fmserverd

fmsased

@scotty321 & Frank Millner:

Since the configuration environment mentioned is FileMaker Server 13 and Mac OS X (10.9.x), and at some point "the fmserver process was no longer running", please review this issue report:

FileMaker 13 Server fails to start upon reboot

The workaround at this time is to disable spotlight's indexing. Please let me know if that is the same issue you have encountered, and I will add your comments to the report previously made to Testing and Development.

Everyone please let me know if any of the above requires further clarification, or if I have missed an issue being reported.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
                      FrankMillner

Thanks, TSFalcon

Does the "sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms" command shut down the opened databases correctly, or is this similar to "force quite", which probably damage the fmp12 files?

• 8. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
                        TSGal

scotty321 and Frank Millner:

Thank you for your posts.

I have copies of FileMaker Server 13.0v2, 13.0v3, and 13.0v4 running on Mac OS X 10.9.4 machines here.  The 13.0v2 has been running only one week while 13.0v3 has been running four weeks and 13.0v4 three weeks.  In all cases, I am able to close all files and stop FileMaker Server.

Can you tell me more about your computing environment?  For instance, What model of the Mac does FileMaker Server resides?  Are you running Admin Console on the server or from a remote computer?  If remotely, what type of machine?  Have you made any updates to the operating system where FileMaker Server resides?  If so, did you reinstall FileMaker Server?  What do the event and system logs display when this issue occurs?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop

Frank Millner:

Thank you for the reply.

"Does the "sudo launchctl stop com.filemaker.fms" command shut down the opened databases correctly"

The process that occurs is the same as a normal shutdown of the computer, all the databases will first close, then all the processes will stop.

The whole process can be observed in the Event.log.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
                            philmodjunk

But TSFalcon, this is not a solution to the problem.  It is only a way around the problem,

Of course it's a "work around"! Presenting such is one of the functions of Report An Issue as one never knows how long you'll need to wait for an update that corrects the issue but a work around is something that you can use right away while waiting for a fix.

with a strong risk of causing file corruption in doing so

Since what TS Falcon describes closes the database files normally, there should be no risk of file corruption in doing so.

• 11. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
                              philmodjunk

My point is that what TSFalcon is suggesting does not risk damaging a file. If it doesn't work, then the remaining option does risk that. But please note that in no part of the posts by TSFalcon or TSGal have they suggested that they thought that this wasn't a bug to be fixed as soon as possible.

• 12. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
                                Markus Schneider

As long as users can connect: There is a risk that some users are still working with data while the server is stopping.. does this way of stopping FMS terminate all transactions and disconnect the user?

(You don't have the admin window here, AFAIK)

• 13. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop
                                  FrankMillner

@TSGal:

You asked for details about our environment:

The FMS13 is running on a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.9.4. The MacBook Pro is running "as a little Server" (although the normal Mac OS X is installed, NOT Mac OS X Server): I backup sime files from other Machines to it, it has Apple Mail Client running (for Spam filtering for my iPad and iPhone) and so on.

The processor load on the machine is very low.

I always use Firefox to start FileMaker Admin on the Mac Book Pro (vie Screensharing).

In both cases, I had the following issues with FileMaker Admin Console in the Browser:

After clicking the Stop Switch an waiting half a minute I tried to click on "Activity" to see if the yellow message box appears, saying that the server is no longer available. (This way I always check if the shutdown s completed).

But instead of showing the yellow message box, a yellow or red ( I can´t remember exactly) lttle badge appears in the upper right corner of the browser window, showing a circle of rotating little lines (the same image mac os x shows, when the system start takes too long - not the spinning beach ball).

In this case I tried to open FileMaker Admin Console in Safari, but not even the login window could be loaded.

I found out, that the timestamps of the fmp12 files had the time, when I tried to shutdown FMS, so I don´t beiieve that issue is caused by the filemaker server service. I think it is an issue with the webserver providing the user interface = admin console.

• 14. Re: SERVER 13 BUG: FileMaker Server 13 won't stop

@All:

Thank you for the replies.

PhilModJunk is correct in reference to running this command that "there should be no risk of file corruption in doing so."

I run the same Terminal.app command on an almost daily basis when troubleshooting, and the databases have never failed to properly close per the Event.log. 

On Mac OS X, the command calls the exact same process as  > Shut Down… or  > Restart... and reviewing the Event.log indicates the files close before the processes stop. 

"does this way of stopping FMS terminate all transactions and disconnect the user?"

That's exactly what it does. The user is prompted to close any open databases and given a 30 second countdown to do so. If the user does not close the file(s), then the connection closes after the countdown, similar to using the Admin Console to kick clients. 

@Frank Millner:

"After clicking the Stop Switch an waiting half a minute I tried to click on "Activity""

The Activity pane in the Admin Console requires the Database Server to be running, so getting a spinning gear with the Database Server stopped would be expected. 

"A few days ago we stopped our FMS13 to load additional files (we put them directly in the folder). We were able to restart FMS13."

On Mac OS X, the recommended method of uploading files to FileMaker Server 13 would be:

Uploading database files to FileMaker Server

"After working a few hours with the new files we decided to remove them: FMS13 can not be stopped."

What method was used to remove the files? Did you use the "Remove" option in the Admin Console?

Please review, page 108 of the FileMaker Server 13 Help for more information on using the "Remove" option in the Admin Console:

FileMaker Server 13 FileMaker Server Help

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next